Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be posted in bike tech section, but my question is specific to the Varadero, specifically the 2008 Fi model if that makes a difference!

Has any one got any common sense, rule of thumb type recommendations for the correct chain slack adjustment?

I know the book says 35-40 mm measured mid way between sprockets, with the bike on the side stand. But in practice this is quite difficult to measure accurately with the bike on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
This could be posted in bike tech section, but my question is specific to the Varadero, specifically the 2008 Fi model if that makes a difference!

Has any one got any common sense, rule of thumb type recommendations for the correct chain slack adjustment?

I know the book says 35-40 mm measured mid way between sprockets, with the bike on the side stand. But in practice this is quite difficult to measure accurately with the bike on the side stand.
Are you sure you should have the bike on the side stand? It's more usually measured with the full weight of the bike on both wheels. In saying that the side stand will be pretty close. If you are not confident at holding the bike upright while working on it get someone to help you the first time they can hold the bike vertical which helps and take your time and get it right.

I always run my chains on the slacker end of the scale and keep them well lubed. That way they last.

On tip I've seen to make subsequent adjustments easier is once you have adjusted it and are happy pop the bike onto the mainstand and measure from the bottom of the swingarm down to the bottom run of the chain (whilst pushing it down to remove slack) and then cut a length of rod to that measurement. Next time you can adjust on the mainstand so the rod just fits in and no more. Simple...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just in case anyone misreads that, it's worth emphasising that you have to set the chain slack correctly with the rear wheel on the ground. Only then do you put it on the centre stand and make the measuring rod.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive always found the bike smoother with the chain on the tight end of the tolerance, but reading this rang alarm bells and i just checked the handbook and lo & behold, i was doing it wrong on the main stand!:rolleyes:

so i wonder if mine was always a bit loose? i will measure it at the weekend, adjust it as necessary and then measure it again on the main stand. i would always adjust the chain on the mainstand anyway because its easier to get the wheel aligned properly

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Owners manual definately specifies adjustment on the sidestand! If you think about it, Honda don't supply the bike with a mainstand as standard, we have to fit that after as an accessory.

I found that if you adjust correct to tolerance on the main stand, then lower onto side stand the chain is too tight, as it tightens as the bikes own weight settles on the suspension.

I like the idea of a go / no go measuring stick! I'll try this!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I found that if you adjust correct to tolerance on the main stand, then lower onto side stand the chain is too tight, as it tightens as the bikes own weight settles on the suspension.

I like the idea of a go / no go measuring stick! I'll try this!
it cant be that bad as ive had it wrong for 11K miles now. another big thumbs up for scottoilers, if the chain is too tight and still never needs adjusting between tyre changes..........

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I wonder what damage has been done to the gearbox output shaft and rear wheel bearings. It sounds like a lot of strain to me.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I wonder what damage has been done to the gearbox output shaft and rear wheel bearings. It sounds like a lot of strain to me.
nope, its made about 5mm difference to the chain slack, not tight at all

P

·
0 Posts
That chain adjuster is a sad example of how bad in can be made. Evere time I took the rear wheel of and I have to make adjustment again I wanna cry. Allways makes me feel like chain line is in incorrect.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
That chain adjuster is a sad example of how bad in can be made. Evere time I took the rear wheel of and I have to make adjustment again I wanna cry. Allways makes me feel like chain line is in incorrect.
and its very hard to check alignment because the mainstand gets in the way!
the best adjusters i ever had was on my last bike, a triumph sprint ST. it had a SSSA and one bolt and a big c-spanner later, job done. no alignment probs

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
1 rule of thumb keep it away from moving chains unless you want it mangled as my son found out rather painfully when he removed 1/2" from the top of his thumb once

2 get a laser aligner so much easier i never trust all those marks on swingarms etc

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My old rule of thumb on any bike is sit on the bike in neutral. Lean down whilst still keeping your weight on your arse and check the tension with your fingers on the the TOP (upper)run of the chain. You should have a small amount of play. If it's tight watch out!:toothy2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’ve just tested my chain with the aid of a 40mm marker (A cut down cotton bud actually)... as indicated as the maximum freeplay on the side of the swingarm...

The free play is just within the marker but I just wanted to know if after 3400 miles you would think it would have slackened more by now, or maybe it's just that I’m not to heavy handed..

Is there anybody else who has not hat to have adjusted the chain at around this milage?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Is there anybody else who has not hat to have adjusted the chain at around this milage?
A properly adjusted and lubed chain shouldn't need adjusting very often if at all. The only time I adjusted the chain on my vara was when it was overtightened diring a tyre change and I slackened it off. After 18,500 miles it was still in the "new" markings on the swing arm. Look after them and they will last for ages.. Abuse them and they will be done in 5-10 K

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
+1 on that, I have done 13000 miles since fitting a new chain and sprockets to my Tiger and it does not need adjusting yet. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The chain may get adjusted only at a 4000-mile service and, of course, when a new tyre is fitted. Otherwide the only time I've ever had to adjust the chain was when the chain was on the way out: during the last few thou' it tends to stretch as the joints give out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts