Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about a year sitting I tried starting my RD04 yesterday. It fired but running only on rear cylinder.
Fuel gets into cylinders (pluga are wet) and all plugs have spark. Voltages across ignition coils are OK. I tried testing pulse generator voltage as per manual but don't get any reading which is strange since as I said all sparks fire up.
pulse generator.jpg

Any ideas?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am not familiar with your model type but does it by any chance have two pulse generators fitted and perhaps you are measuring a faulty one or does this model have separate CDI's that you could swap around the connectors?

I think the later ones had two pulse generator coils.

Logic suggests that at least one pulse generator and at least one cdi is working otherwise the bike wouldn't fire up at all.

Most electrical issues are caused by bad or faulty connections so worth making sure all are clean and solid before spending big money on parts.

It's well worth checking your earths are all clean too.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Most likely your RPM doesn't work either. ;-)
Is suggest the problem is with your CDI. Swap them and now it is the other cylinder that won't be working

Lee

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has two ignition coils and single CDI. If I switch connectors spark timing would be off, right? I don't get reading on either coil!? Multimeter isn't pro but neither the cheapest one. Didn't look at rpm, will check tomorow

Sent from my HomTom HT3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Out of interest does this mean your bike is toast if this fails?? as it looks like part is unavailable!

The RD04 uses a single unit CDI, unlike the separate units on the RD03 and Transalp, so "swapping" isn't an option.

There are two pulse generators (one for each cylinder) and you can see them if you remove the small inspection cover on the left hand side of the engine side cover.

It is possible that one of the generators is not working, because it is either faulty, has an open circuit, or short circuit. The wires are soldered onto each pulse generator and are exposed, so could possibly have a bad connection or perhaps be covered in some metal swarf from the engine making it short circuit. pop off the cover and check for continuity between the wire at the generator and the 4p connector block.

Good Luck

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't mention but did that today and all good and clean with continuity to 4p connector. Will test tomorow further continuity to CDI

Sent from my HomTom HT3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I possibly found the culprit. One of the wires from CDI to 4p connector that goes to pickups is open circuit. Don't know how it happened since it goes through wiring loom which is basically fixed so it doesn't move at all.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All wiring is OK, I measured continuity between green and green/white :D, didn't see white strip. It looks like something clogged front cylinder carb. Removed airbox, squirted some gasoline into it, hand over air intake to increase air velocity and after a while it started working.
It seems that pickups generate too short impuls for my multimeter to be able to register them, that's why I didn't get any reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts