Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I have a 99 Carb Varadero XL1000 and it has started to run rich. Someone following me today told me he could smell me - I think he meant the exhaust but not sure!

The Spark plugs were new 1,000 miles ago and starts fine. Exhaust is black and there is no smoke.

I have a Heynes manual for it but I can only find a part about balancing the carbs - I am not sure if this is what is needed or are there some serviceable parts that you get for the carb to help improve.

Please gently point me in the right direction. 0-0¬

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
HI
I have a 99 Carb Varadero XL1000 and it has started to run rich. Someone following me today told me he could smell me - I think he meant the exhaust but not sure!

The Spark plugs were new 1,000 miles ago and starts fine. Exhaust is black and there is no smoke.

I have a Heynes manual for it but I can only find a part about balancing the carbs - I am not sure if this is what is needed or are there some serviceable parts that you get for the carb to help improve.

Please gently point me in the right direction. 0-0¬
Nice to know there's people out there with gas anylisers for nostrils:thumbright::thumbright:...could save money on a dyno run employing this chap:toothy2::toothy2:

Only way to see is take the plugs out and see what colour they are if they are sooty and black then it's running a bit rich. Assuming it is you could then adjust the carb mixture screws slightly to lean it off a bit. Failing that you could spend the cash and have a dyno run they don't have to do anything for performane you can ask them to check mixture optimum fueling is 13:1 and they can adjust jets, needles etc that would also tell you where in the rev range it's rich and where it's lean

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd be looking at a carb that may be flooding a bit. Punctured float, dirty float needle, sticking float, wrong float height. Do you get petrol coming from the overflow pipe? What about carb diaphram (do these carbs have them?) jasonbc is right first thing is to look at the plugs and identify which carb is at fault. Stripping it down may be the only option. Do these carbs have a choke or a starter jet?, could be the choke/starter jet is stuck open a bit. Can't think of much else but I bet others will.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only way to see is take the plugs out and see what colour they are if they are sooty and black then it's running a bit rich. Assuming it is you could then adjust the carb mixture screws slightly to lean it off a bit. Failing that you could spend the cash and have a dyno run they don't have to do anything for performane you can ask them to check mixture optimum fueling is 13:1 and they can adjust jets, needles etc that would also tell you where in the rev range it's rich and where it's lean
Thank for the above - We did follow a dozen Lambrettas for a mile or so and I could have been stopped and breathalised and probably would have failed - so the guy behind me would have been well high with my mix.

There are no leaks on petrol and the exhausts are black but not wet - both are about the same blackness too.
The engine does 'burble' a lot on backing off - I quite like the sound but I did wonder if this was also a sign.
I am now only getting about 32 mpg from it - where as when I first got it it was more close to 40.

I can't seem to find the engine mixture screw on it - if there is one that that would be a good start then?

Get the point about taking the spark plugs out to see what they look like.
Thanks for input.

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Stuck chokes - they may suffer the same as the AT.

How old / new is the air filter on your machine?

Don't know about other carbed Vara users, but 40mpg would have me looking for a problem let alone when it drops to 32mpg! Worst I've seen from mine is 38mpg after "making progress" up the M5 along with a R1 rider from the ferry at Plymouth.
It, plus it's predecessor, give me an average of 46mpg, over 11k miles.

Just my ramblings.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Forgot the obvious, air filter. Is it wet, old, clogged. Have you sucked something into the air inlet? plastic bag, leaf etc. Cover all possibilities!.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would suggest a clogged air filter, the most common fault for running rich.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Don't know about other carbed Vara users, but 40mpg would have me looking for a problem let alone when it drops to 32mpg! Worst I've seen from mine is 38mpg after "making progress" up the M5 along with a R1 rider from the ferry at Plymouth.
It, plus it's predecessor, give me an average of 46mpg, over 11k miles."

For my 2000 Vara to average 46 mpg it would need to be running on 1 cylinder:D,making progress on advanced training gives me around 30 to 33 mpg :mad::mad:and touring europe gives me 170 to the yellow light. mileage on my bike is 21000 and I have owned it for 7 years.

I would check the choke cable first as they stick in the on position,and eventually snap the nipple off the handlebar end.

Regards
Mike

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
"Don't know about other carbed Vara users, but 40mpg would have me looking for a problem let alone when it drops to 32mpg! Worst I've seen from mine is 38mpg after "making progress" up the M5 along with a R1 rider from the ferry at Plymouth.
It, plus it's predecessor, give me an average of 46mpg, over 11k miles."

For my 2000 Vara to average 46 mpg it would need to be running on 1 cylinder:D,making progress on advanced training gives me around 30 to 33 mpg :mad::mad:and touring europe gives me 170 to the yellow light. mileage on my bike is 21000 and I have owned it for 7 years.

I would check the choke cable first as they stick in the on position,and eventually snap the nipple off the handlebar end.

Regards
Mike
Not sure who's right here with the math ( i know every bike is different) but my 1999 model from a full tank to reserve is about 185-190 miles and normally does around 34mpg. The very worst i had was heading from Paris to Le'Man in the worst head wind i've ever experienced 2up with full luggage and tank bag and then my reserve light came on at 135 miles and speed was averaging 85-90mph indicated

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have changed the spark plugs, which were a bit fowled and the air filter and have checked the choke was ok.
Pleased to say the last 3 tank dulls hav now returned 39 miles to the gallon.

It is running much smoother now.

I didn't sadly do the alterations logically, like change one thing and then see how mpg and running was so I can't comment on what made the difference.

Thanks for advice given before hope it helps other people in the same position.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts