Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xl600v 1990. Tick over perfect. Open throttle perfect. Whilst riding it's like it's bogging down tops out at 60 eventually no torque. Fuel lines fine, carbs spotless, jets clear. My exhaust is shite but this hasn't changed and it did run perfect?
Im not in the position to fork out needlessly on spares...
Cheeky sod time, anyone near Ludlow Shropshire who has a spare cdi to borrow so I can test and rule out or confirm the problems?
Cheers Phil.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You have 2 CDI units, if problem is CDI it should only be 1 cylinder at a time, unless it is power supply related, so swap units to see if problem moves cylinders.
Early TA have a problem with the seat pressing against the CDI plugs, the later CDI holder can be fitted (I think) that stops that happening. The late 600's (twin front disc) had a single CDI but that cannot be used at they have a throttle position sensor feed.
I think MZ? electronics do units for early TA may be a single unit to replace the 2.
I see we were saying the same thing at the same time!

Reactions: Riless180

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
not necessarily. CDi are weird things in the transalp. i had a problem where the rev counter would occasionally stop working (i diagnosed that one plug was not getting a spark), i swapped them over and the problem persisted. i replaced one CDi and the problem went away. i could not figure that one out.

also, make sure you install them in the updated CDI holder which makes them sit so they are not crushed by the seat. see:

cushioncdiuni_big30401MM9010-01_adbe.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
when this happens usually its the vacuum diaphragm. broken/ rips something happened to them. It happened to me as well on my 89 TA.
usually when the diaphragms are ripped the bike eats more fuel and i can't go over a certain speed.
strange it got fixed..
anyway its good the hear another working TA on the road :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys just in case anyone else experiences these issues.
I checked fuel lines carb jets etc all cool, swapped the CDis as previously instructed and it did exactly as described with revs not able to stay on etc.
New CDis ordered as per thread. Fitted and the old ones must have been knackered before I purchased as its a totally different bike now.
Cheers guys appreciate all help and advice given. Pat on the backs all round

1 - 11 of 11 Posts