Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I just got a nice rd07A, whose only problem seems to be staying still for too long ( only 30 000 km ).

Tonight I was doing some needed maintenance and I noticed the fuel petcock/tank bottom look like this:

tank1.png
tank2.png

Should I be worried?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
If drain all of the fuel out of the tank then shine a torch in to determine whether there is rust on the inside. A snake camera (or whatever they call those around the corner inspection cameras) will be needed if it's anything like the tank on my '03 Transalp. Most of the interior of its tank can't be seen through the filler opening.
If the interior is okay, you'll only need to sand back the underside and give it a couple of coats of g good quality paint to protect it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, it turns out it was only a broken o-ring... The tank has some rust indeed, but most of what I was seeing was gunk from the gas that accumulated over the years, some cleaning and a new o-ring ( inner diameter, 14mm, 1.8mm width ) and it's good to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's a much better outcome than a tank that's rusting away from the inside out. If there is internal rust, it's best to deal with that before it gets out of hand. In the mid '90s one of my tanks, (that I'd treated with tank creme a few years before) developed pinholes and a crack where the rear mount attached.
A mate of mine who is currently creating a Frankenstein tank for my Kwaka Z750B twin informed me that I shouldn't have used tank creme on its original tank as it hides more problem than it fixes, as I mentioned above. The down side is that I don't remember what he recommended instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts