Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, quick question:

I recently moved to a new house about 100m from the ocean, and the other day I had a peek under the cover of my AT and discovered rust in places that previously didn't have rust. I live in a hot country, so the bike has been almost rust-free so far. What can I do to give the bike a bit of protection from the salty air? WD40?

Cheers!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Get some ACF-50 and spray / brush that on exposed areas - careful around the brakes.

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get some ACF-50 and spray / brush that on exposed areas - careful around the brakes.
Thanks, Wicky, but I can't find that here in Vietnam. RP-7 and WD40 is not good, I take it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Look on ebay, amazon and see if anyone sellers do International shipping, or get someone to forward it on to you from a country where it's available.

With WD40 you'll have to spray repeatedly compared to ACF-50 where you spray it and leave it on for a few months (here in the UK I apply it in Autumn to give Winter protection, and then give it a thorough degrease wash-off in the Spring)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is the cover really helping? If the condensation / moisture has no time to evaporate and dry out, that may be the source of the problem? I have seen things rust worse when the cover doesn't allow for proper drying.

Having visited Vietnam good few years ago, I remember it as quite sunny and warm for the best part, although Hoi An / Da nang / Hue felt very humid and the mould on the outside walls was something I still remember. So Wicky is probably right. ACF is aircraft-grade moisture dispersant so good idea. I use Scottoiler FS356, because it is less sticky and water-based, so you can wash off the dirt with it, ACF is harder to wash off. But my bikes seldom see any rain and live in a garage. That is probably even harder to obtain in Vietnam, though...
Good luck.

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the cover really helping? If the condensation / moisture has no time to evaporate and dry out, that may be the source of the problem? I have seen things rust worse when the cover doesn't allow for proper drying.
I'm not sure about the that, but it is a nice place for all the rats to sit and eat stuff they found in the thrash :D (I have to clean out all the bones once in a while) No, seriously, I have no shade in my small garden, so they have to be covered. The sun is merciless here, as you know. Also, there's a huge amount of dust from building sites nearby, that is really frustrating to deal with. To be honest, I'm not sure if the covers retain moisture, as they are fairly open at the bottom, allowing the wind inside. Are you saying that ACF is sticky? Damn, that a bad combo, considering the amount of dust here ...

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look on ebay, amazon and see if anyone sellers do International shipping, or get someone to forward it on to you from a country where it's available.
Thanks, Wicky. Yeah, I'll have to order it from the outside. How exactly do you use it? Only on troubled spots? Or everywhere the salt may get to exposed metal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts