Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like its owner, AT is showing the effects of time and staying out in cr*p weather.

It's not too bad but I'd like to nip it in the bud although I've never done this sort of thing before. What's the procedure? Brass brush? Sandpaper? Both? What paint do I use? Thought I'd begin with an etching primer for the ally bits but is there a number for the silver paint used on the casings and the body parts?:confused:

All suggestions/guidance gratefully accepted.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Silver smooth hammerite spray is a perfect match for the frame - use a de ruster and then a grey primer... and go from there - then a clear laquer afterwards

the engine cases - either polish them up and laquer... or sand down lightly and apply a silver colur spray that will match...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver smooth hammerite spray is a perfect match for the frame - use a de ruster and then a grey primer... and go from there - then a clear laquer afterwards

the engine cases - either polish them up and laquer... or sand down lightly and apply a silver colur spray that will match...
Thanks for that. The engine cases are corroding so will definitely be needing sanding. What sort of sand paper is suitable??

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Thanks for that. The engine cases are corroding so will definitely be needing sanding. What sort of sand paper is suitable??
use wet n dry (from halfords or smilar - black in colour)- grade 240 - see how it goes - dont use anything too abrasive...

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
for the bits around the frame - use a rotary wire brush onto the end of your drill - BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE BLACK PLASTIC FRAME PLUG - take your time and dont snap any lugs off...then se wet and dry afterwards before painting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts