Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just bought a 2001 650 transalp with 23,000 miles, after giving it a check over I was quite shocket to find a LOT of rust in and around the petrol filler neck,
can any one tell me if this is normal ,
Allso has the 650 transalp got any form of fuel fillter fitted,
Thanks,
Ian.:(

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Some do rust around the filler neck if water has been stood there because the drain pie is blocked or kinked under the seat/tank for a long time.The bike is nine years old,how well has it been looked after?
No fuel filter but it's easy enough to fit one inline.

·
Registered
779 Posts
spill a bit of petrol around there by accident next time you fill up and check it ends up on the floor. If it does, then clean up the rust with ACF50 and some steel wool. If it doesn't, then you need to unblock the hose- it's easy to kink these when replacing the tank, undo the bolt holding the tank up, lift it a bit and support it, then give the hoses on the bottom of the bike a quick tug to draw through the excess that kinks and prevents flow.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have noticed that the water does tend to sit in the area of the filler cap, so maybe the length of time it has been sitting has not allowed the water to reach the drain hole.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
you'll probably find also there will be an egg cup of water and condensation in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts