Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zorst has gone. Fuel has supplied the replacement (plus Kendal Mint Cake - yum!) so I went to have a look at the situation yesterday.

I have two questions: firstly, how concerned should I be about the condition of the output pipe from the collector box? The silencer and securing collar are rusted to buggery (I expect the two bolts to shear). How easy is it to damage the collector box in the process of getting the silencer off?

Secondly, what materials do I need other than the new pipe, the collar and some copper-grease for the fixings? Is there some sort of sealing paste I need to ensure the joint between collecting box and silencer is sound?

Ta! :thumbleft:

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
The Cat and output pipe are stainless , so should be in better condition than exhaust, thats for sure.

when you have the clamp off, work the old exhaust back and forth slightly, to loosen the joint. then should just pull off (backwards) .

I used some exhaust fitting paste (halfords) for the joins in the new exhaust and main connection. You only need a small amount , so the smallest tube you can buy. (Not the big 1 lt tub the halfords guy tried to sell me).

Note the fitment of the main new clamp, (so it does not foul on the swing arm.)
:thumb::thumb:

good luck ..

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Same advice as what LWR said really. I replaced mine about 18months ago. The joint between the standard silencer and the header pipes has a seal made of Fibrous asbestos type material (it won't be asbestos). mine was rotted but it made it look like it was badly rusted on. In reality with a good twist and pull it came off quite easily. You shouldn't need a new seal with the new Fuel can. A stainless clamp should be ok at this joint along with a dab of exhaust seal.

Oh I am pretty sure the standard clamp is a stainless one too, if not it will probably snap off as soon as you put the spanner on it. Just peel it away. Then undo everything, remove pannier brackets and side panel for access and pull and twist the silencer off. Fom memory the stub on the header pipes is about 4inches long.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen. The old one came off and the new went on a treat. :cheers: The biggest surprise was how much smaller the Fuel can was compared to the Honda one. Looking around, this seems to be typical of all after-market cans. (Why so, I wonder?:confused:) Just as well as mine had to get inside the Honda pannier racks, which it did with ease.

A simple job, a cheap can and (psychologically at least) noticeably quicker pick up in the low to mid-range. :blob8: Can this be true?!

Thanks again,

Philip :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts