Honda XRV Forum banner

S.A.D - 'stopped and dropped' all hail crashbara

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  StumpyFingers 
#1 ·
Well 5 months riding before a stop and drop!

Offered to take leaflet deliver for a friend, only to find my daughter had taken the car. Packed the topbox with leaflets (not the best plan) and at 8pm after a long day at work. Stopped and dropped the side stand or so I thought!
Bloody he'll that varadero is heavy when it hits to about 20 degree from vertical - tried to recover but there was a slow motion moment where I thought.... Step away from the vehicle and lay it to rest!

Hail Givi crash bars and pannier frame - no bike damage and a few scratches on the bars. More dent in the pride.

The 'take home' learning was
1 don't offer to help
2 don't pack 1000 leaflets in yer topbox
3 don't ride tired
4 fit crashbars

#5 ·
Yep been there, did it on the 1st longest day, didn't actually remember to attempt the stand,right in front of about 20 local highland brats outside a shop. "did ye meean to di that mister?? did ye? did ye?" quite embarrassing but I was fatigued to the max and that's the excuse i've stuck with.

#9 ·
6. always stop where there nobody about.

Nobody ever falls off unless there are people about to laugh. It is a fact of nature.

#13 ·
Well, I should know :rolleyes:. Amazing how quickly it can all unravel, and just when you're starting to feel that it's all in the bag (or the topbox :D). Seriously, I think being tired has a big effect - I know that it does for me. Leads me to drop my guard just that little bit extra, and then do dumb things like get off on the wrong side :confused:. Main thing, you and the bike are OK. The rest is all part of life's rich tapestry...

#14 ·
I repeated your exact 'trick' the other day with equal results, have had the AT now for about 3 weeks and the eventual favour was requested of me to carry pillion to shop for nightware for the dreaded mother-in-law, right now as I type, the words 'poetic justice' jumps to mind, I did mutter something under my breath at the time and she must have heard me ( 6 miles away in hospital) side stand down (not) girlfriend letting out the typical scream, grunting from me with not one word of bad language as you can all imagine, throttle at full blast to draw as much attention as possible from onlookers the bike goes down, the fate of the Titanic was less dramatic..... my poor pride was dented, crushed and vapourised before my very eyes, I would never have been brave enough to share such a looser story ... but after reading yours ..I gained courage :) No damage (crash bars) and the MIL got her damn nighty..

#15 ·
You know, it's not the going down that's the worst of it, it's the impossibility of getting it up again afterwards.

(I admit that it's impossible to ignore the innuendo here so have a good snigger now, then concentrate again.)

Ok, ready now?

So, how DO you get the bugger back on it's feet - it's not a solo job is it?

What's the technique for getting your ride back into the appropriate position for a good time?

#17 ·
Ohhhh errr nah missus and thrice nah! Titter yeh not and all that :)
problem with my S.A.D was it was on an incline not in my favour and it was a hell of an effort. Should have had seen this before YouTube - How to pick up your motorcycle

perhaps this thread should be like confessional
admit your stop and drop and release those demons

#16 ·
Getting it up is usually surprisingly easy if you're embarassed enough. *Yoink* and it's back on its wheels. Sure you'll feel a few pulled muscles in the evening, but it's surprising what you can do in a pinch. ;-)

Case in point: It is possible to pick up a dropped GS from the wrong side.

Rode up, parked, put the sidestand down, shifted around somewhat, got off, and dropped the bike inna hedge. :thumb:

(Aren't those self-retracting sidestands fun? :rolleyes:)

Cursed, looked round to see if nobody was watching, concluded that my pride was intact for now if only I could get the ruddy thing upright again soonish, put my feet against the tyres, grabbed the handguard, and gave it a big heave. Worked. :)

#20 ·
At least now bikes have cutouts on the sidestand to stop the bike going when it is put down.
I remember owning a bike that I put the sidestand down and got off, I accidentally pulled the clutch lever in and the sidestand retracted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.