Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
They are hard to start though.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
They are hard to start though.
Mine were not, it was quite easy to start. :confused:

(Could have something to do with the fact that my bike previous to my Yamaha was an Norton Commando 750S with 4S cams and Arias high CR pistons) :rolleyes:

Them old XT500 are just peaches when they are in that nick, can't be that many around looking like that.
The Germans must have scattered them all around the deserts and djungels back in the 90's

//Kjell

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What a bike.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
:D does it have full service history? :hitler:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
think you should put "what a waste" instead?
That is not what I was thinking at the time.
I could not post it as this is an open forum.

It is a nice bike,
Why would you want to display it and not ride it?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
That is not what I was thinking at the time.
I could not post it as this is an open forum.

It is a nice bike,
Why would you want to display it and not ride it?
yep a ridden bike is a happy bike. i went to the Tank Museum at Bovington a while ago and they have a Brough Superior in a glass case as its the "same" bike as Lawrence of Arabia's.
its been there a long time and thats a waste!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
yep a ridden bike is a happy bike. i went to the Tank Museum at Bovington a while ago and they have a Brough Superior in a glass case as its the "same" bike as Lawrence of Arabia's.
its been there a long time and thats a waste!

did it have a swagger stick in the handle bars?

ohh and lumps chewed out of the seat by his @rse just before he totaled it :rolleyes:??

yup agree
ride it ..... when it breaks.. fix it...
repeat until you drop
then hand the bike to some one with the same mentality :thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no one knows the exact bike Lawrence was riding i am told , it may have been a Brough demo is one theory as he was very friendly with them ,
merv

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Don't really care if someone is trying to make some fast money there. If I had the seven + G's, I'd buy it in an instant. :) -------------I mean how often is that ! ?

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
I reckon he bought the bike... rode it home from the dealers... then the next day, got ready for work.. put his gear on...tried starting it... again.. and again.. after 45 minutes and no joy he just gave up and forgot about it.. UNTIL TWO YEARS AGO...

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
This is an old thread I know. But since it was started and just to prove there is stuff out there though. My Mint Dommie 99 outfit had done only 7000k's when I found it. Didn't think that would happen again but last year I got a second 99 Dommie almost as new! I'm not complaining, but why do people buy new and then just store ? :(........... :)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Not that hard to imagine. I read a while ago that the average mileage in .nl was about 2000 miles per year. That average includes my 20k km and I'm by no means an exception, meaning there are guys out there doing only a few hundred if that per year.

I wouldn't mind a new XT, though in my hands it wouldn't stay new very long. In a way that's a waste and in another way it's the best thing that could happen to the poor thing. ;-)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Not that hard to imagine. I read a while ago that the average mileage in .nl was about 2000 miles per year. That average includes my 20k km and I'm by no means an exception, meaning there are guys out there doing only a few hundred if that per year.

. ;-)
back home (Italy) more or less the same....some folks would just keep their bikes for a short nimble at weekends May to September....

·
Registered
388 Posts
I live in Sweden and should've seen the guys face at the dealers when he asked me how much I had clocked on my Street Bob the last four years..55,000 km :cyclopsani:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts