Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great day was had by all (except perhaps Geoff), excellent route thanks to Barftone and the weather held out for us.

Ready for the off at Warminster services.....

A good turnout of fourteen riders and eleven were on Hondas !!!

We rode up to Imber village which is only open at this time of year to the public.

The church at Imber........

Dave S studies the noticeboard about unexploded bombs etc

Anton's 'Goliath' and mt RD04 on the Plain.....

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dave S on his Beemer........

Steve on his KTM......

Hang on ! where are the Hondas??

Here's Anton on Goliath......

and that's it for me, my camera gave up the ghost at this point. So get your piccies on here now.

cheers, Bob.

·
2,701 Posts
Nice piccies and a good turn out, glad the weather was good for you.
Look forward to some muddy pic's. :cool::iconbiggrin:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look brilliant Bob, I am really envious.

Good turn out, ground looked a bit damp though did you find any big muddy puddles to play with
My socks tell me there were plenty of puddles :D

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Marc & I both left home around 6am (early for me - especially on a Sunday :eek:), met up at Brentwood, and made our way to Warminster with a couple of stops on the way.

I nearly didnt make it - Goliath is a bit thirsty, and the amber and then the red fuel warnings came on - but i'd only done 140 miles, so thought id push on. After the photoshoot at Warminster, i filled up and managed to get in just over 22 ltrs - isnt the capacity 22 ltrs :confused:

A few photos at Imber Village - which wasnt quite as spooky as i was expecting but good to get the chance to see what all the fuss was about ;)

A bit further along, after passing through our first big puddle of the day + If anyone finds Bobs tyre lever in the murky depths, please send it back :D

And at our next stop (which was near Stonehenge):

Mel's @ which had a fantastic paint job - the pictures dont do it justice - has to be seen in the flesh :cool:

XR650 - yum yum :D

Steve's KTM - i dont care what you ktm haters say - i luv em :p

Pauls @, which i think stayed this clean until the end - he must have floated across the mud :D

Daves Pitstop to fix a flat - somewhere :confused:

Back at Amesbury for Lunch:

Dirty bikes -

Bobs @ - can you see spongebob - sorry you need to tilt your head :rolleyes:

Marc and i had to head home after this stop as our passes were not stamped for 'late arival home' :D - hope you guys had a blast after you left us.

Thats all my piccies - got 1 or 2 short vids to get sorted and thats it.

Just a BIG thanks to the organizers + helpers and top tips and i think Tony for taking us down the 'easy' routes :D;)

I had a brilliant time, and great to see some old friends and some new :D

Goliath only went down once - the 'mud fairies' clogged up the front tyre and down he went, with me barrell rolling out of the way to avoid being crushed :p - no damage done.

After youve been riding for a while and your a bit tired - you realize just how heavy an @ is to pick up - even with 2 or 3 of you ;)

Thank god for my 'el cheapo' heated jacket which kept me toasty warm on the way there and all the way home + my goretex socks which kept my feet nice and dry :D

I must get more riding in mud experience - as i found it harder than i thought i would :eek:
Anyway a top day out with top people - cheers guys :blob2:

Got home to a nice roast beef dinner (cheers Mrs :love5:)

Then got Goliath into the back yard and gave him a cold hose down to remove about 2 kilos of mud still stuck on him - anyone want it back ? :D

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
great pics
looks like you all had a great " dryish " day
and mel's @ looks brilliant

:D:D:D:D:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Sat indoors with a cold. Very jealous.
Anton - the RD04 has a 24 litre tank so you had a few more miles to go to empty. The red usually comes on with about 4 litres still left.

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
I enjoyed most of the day, and am getting the hang of falling off the bike without damaging it. Now I need to get the hang of falling off without damaging myself!
Hospital say that I have only torn the ligaments in my shoulder, so holding a pint is OK but riding a bike (or falling off it!) is out for a week or two.
Many thanks again for the help lads, and to Mel for seeing me home. Also I would like to thank Tony, but will never believe him again when he describes the next stretch of track! Cleaning the bike and my gear may take a while!

·
"call me lucky"
729 Posts
I enjoyed most of the day, and am getting the hang of falling off the bike without damaging it. Now I need to get the hang of falling off without damaging myself!
Hospital say that I have only torn the ligaments in my shoulder, so holding a pint is OK but riding a bike (or falling off it!) is out for a week or two.
Many thanks again for the help lads, and to Mel for seeing me home. Also I would like to thank Tony, but will never believe him again when he describes the next stretch of track! Cleaning the bike and my gear may take a while!
take it easy on that shoulder. the next fortnight will seem like an eternity. i know ,i took my bike out yesterday for the first time in six weeks after breaking my wrist. keep your chin up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Excellent day, really enjoyed it even the unscheduled dismount :D

Thanks to Tony and others for organising it.

Great to meet you all again.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Happy New Year all. Sorry to hear about your fall Geoff (and Annette). By the time we got back you were on your way! Obviously, with all the rain we had it made conditions tricky on some of the lanes. Without riding these lanes every weekend you can only see what they are like when you get there. The Stonehenge slippy one through the field is normally straightforward as I'm sure Bob, Steve, Leigh and Dave S will testify to. But with farmer Giles scraping it, lots of rain, and a lot of 4wd playing on it it became a sloppy mess!! The same can also be said of the start of the Marlborough Old Road (The one you fell on and hurt yourself) which is also normally straightforward with the first mile or so being trickier than the rest which was open gravel hard pack and a great blast. We tend to forget how heavy the old AT's are off the tarmac especially if it is muddy. Maybe somebody should organise a weekend at the BMW off road school in South Wales for a weekend to polish up our dirt skills on big bikes??

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
Happy New Year all. Sorry to hear about your fall Geoff (and Annette). By the time we got back you were on your way! Obviously, with all the rain we had it made conditions tricky on some of the lanes. Without riding these lanes every weekend you can only see what they are like when you get there. The Stonehenge slippy one through the field is normally straightforward as I'm sure Bob, Steve, Leigh and Dave S will testify to. But with farmer Giles scraping it, lots of rain, and a lot of 4wd playing on it it became a sloppy mess!! The same can also be said of the start of the Marlborough Old Road (The one you fell on and hurt yourself) which is also normally straightforward with the first mile or so being trickier than the rest which was open gravel hard pack and a great blast. We tend to forget how heavy the old AT's are off the tarmac especially if it is muddy. Maybe somebody should organise a weekend at the BMW off road school in South Wales for a weekend to polish up our dirt skills on big bikes??
I was only joking tone (about not listening to your descriptions of the track), believe it or not I enjoyed most of it. Many thanks.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
glad your ok and on the mend geoff:cool: looks like a great time guys mebbie next time for me .cool pics and thanks for the report:D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
the look of fear and the grin on geoffs face says it all for me:D:D:D:Dace must get out there soon:cool:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Some great pics there Dave :D

I'm still aching a bit from my small tumble :D

Somehow the mud doesnt look quite so slippery in the pics.

Looking forward to getting down there again some time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts