Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoted from another source, could be a mini xrv meet

Hi All,
I just wanted to let you know that my new adventure motorcycle travel book ‘Tortillas to Totems’ is being launched at the iconic Ace Cafe London on Saturday September the 18th. You are invited.

‘Tortillas to Totems’ takes you across the magnificent landscapes of Mexico, the USA and Canada. Lands where it is just too easy to get sidetracked by the unexpected.

This is my fourth adventure motorcycle travel book. My first ‘Into Africa’

My second book, ‘Under Asian Skies’ kicks off in Australia and then takes you through the exotic lands of SE Asia, across Asia proper, through the Middle East and on through Eastern Europe. You’ll find me close to death a couple of times, involved with smugglers, getting a buzz from the madness that is traffic in India and much more.

My last book, ‘Distant Suns’ takes you through Southern Africa and then on up through the awesome landscapes of South and Central America. These really are lands where every day is an adventure, and this time I am riding with Birgit, who you’ll have met first in ‘Under Asian Skies’. You’ll find that Birgit is one of the pluckiest girls on two wheels!

‘Tortillas to Totems’ starts off in Mexico, which surely is one of the most awesome countries in the world. It has a fascinating and incredibly diverse history, stunning roads to ride and cops who are complete gits! The land is an exciting challenge to ride.

We then head on up into the USA, which I really wasn’t sure I wanted to visit. By this time I’d been on the road for nearly 7 years, and most of that time had been in second and third world countries. The though of heading up into the big, bold and brash USA was daunting. A reverse culture shock, or was it?

Canada held all the delights I’d imagined and much more. This really is a land to explore on two wheels. But the country also gave us a major disappointment. Never fear though, that disappointment was just the start of a whole new adventure.

The launch on Sept the 18th will kick off around midday. There will be live rock music, celebrities, a huge raffle for Motorcycle Outreach, adventure travel companies, dune buggies (yes you read that right!) and of course Books! We’d love to see you there. If you’ve never been to the Ace Cafe before, then perhaps use us a good excuse. Make sure you arrive in time for one of the Ace Cafes world famous breakfasts! Leave space for it!!!

There’s more info on the books on the Adventure Travel Books website www.sam-manicom.com Where ‘Every day is an Adventure!’
takes you from Cairo down to Cape Town. The tale is packed with wonderful happenings and far too many disasters, but that is travel on two wheels across the stunning continent that is Africa.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
If it does turn out to be a minimeet - how about asking him to donate a signed copy of his latest book ( or a few books even) for auctioning for MAWF and TLD2011. I asked Lois Pryce (I love that woman) to donate a signed copy of her latest book for TLD2009 and it raised in excess of £100 if I remember correctly.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
If it does turn out to be a minimeet - how about asking him to donate a signed copy of his latest book ( or a few books even) for auctioning for MAWF and TLD2011. I asked Lois Pryce (I love that woman) to donate a signed copy of her latest book for TLD2009 and it raised in excess of £100 if I remember correctly.
It's in hand :thumbup:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Top bloke :thumbup: Hot of the press :-

Hi Mark,
Thanks for all the info! And many thanks for putting the news up about the launch. It'll be great to see you guys at the Ace.
I'm delighted to hear that you'll be raising money for 'Make a Wish' They are great.
I'll do better than a copy of the new book. I'll send you a full, signed set of the 4 books - if that helps. Just let me know the best address to send to and when you need them by. I won't have the first copies of 'Tortillas to Totems' for another 6 weeks or so.
Catch you soon.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
107 Posts
Blimey, that was quick - and here's me only just joining you guys to find all of this. Brilliant - thank you very much. And I'm only too pleased to help out with an auction. I hope you raise loads! 'Make a Wish' are an excellent organisation.:thumbright:
Cheers for now,
Sam

www.sam-manicom.com
Where ever day is an adventure.

Top bloke :thumbup: Hot of the press :-

Hi Mark,
Thanks for all the info! And many thanks for putting the news up about the launch. It'll be great to see you guys at the Ace.
I'm delighted to hear that you'll be raising money for 'Make a Wish' They are great.
I'll do better than a copy of the new book. I'll send you a full, signed set of the 4 books - if that helps. Just let me know the best address to send to and when you need them by. I won't have the first copies of 'Tortillas to Totems' for another 6 weeks or so.
Catch you soon.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Blimey, that was quick - and here's me only just joining you guys to find all of this. Brilliant - thank you very much. And I'm only too pleased to help out with an auction. I hope you raise loads! 'Make a Wish' are an excellent organisation.:thumbright:
Cheers for now,
Sam

www.sam-manicom.com

Where ever day is an adventure.
You're my new favourite travel writer - :D:D:D - looking forward to the Ace :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Stumpfingers will be along shorty to

'Welcome you to the forum' beware he keeps snakes ! and thanks once again Sam.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sam

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! While you guys have been posting those messages, I've been having a meander around the XRV site - good stuff! I can see I'll be spending plenty of down time reading stuff here.
Cheers for now, better get back to work.
All the best,
Sam

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So as not to disappoint GOG.:D
welcome to the forum.
What took you so long to find it?:D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
just got my latest book from sam today, 'under asian skies' after buying 'into africa' from him at the bmf show.

if i can i'll be there, about time i went up to the ace again anyway

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Stumpyfingers,
Actually, I did know where you guys were but, um its ages since I've looked at your site. Always interested in people who ride bikes that can get 'out there'. Got kind of distracted by getting the Tortillas to Totems written - turn into a bit of a hermit while that's going on. And of course being an airhead rider I wasn't too sure if you guys'd just think I was poking my nose in... Glad thats not the case.:thumbup: Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear its arrived with you ok. Hope you enjoy - as usual my guardian angel had to work overtime ;)

Looking forward to seeing you on the 18th of Sept.

Cheers for now,
Sam

just got my latest book from sam today, 'under asian skies' after buying 'into africa' from him at the bmf show.

if i can i'll be there, about time i went up to the ace again anyway

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
wouldn't worry mate, they seem to think it's a Honda forum but us BMW riders are taking over by stealth ;)

welcome on board :thumbright:
youre all welcome, it gets boring having nothing on our hondas to complain about

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts