Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Gals,

Does anyone have tips and advice for me??

We are off to Santander on the ferry from Portsmouth on Wed 30/06 then into Spain & France. Cant wait!!!:D:D:D

Any must do places to see/go/camp, also places to avoid??

No set agenda or time plan, just got to be back at work on the 12/07!!!!

Thanks for looking.:thumbleft:

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
Hi Guys & Gals,

We are off to Santander on the ferry from Portsmouth on Wed 30/06 then into Spain & France. Cant wait!!!:D:D:D

Jaca to Andora - Ace road!
Do not use Camping Victoria in Jaca - it is mainly a static caravan site, very little room for tents. Loads of campsites in Torla - and the national park. If you are travelling from the ferry northwards along the coast Mukrito is a good village to stop at - loads of local bars and a campsite just up the hill from the village. Have a good trip :thumbright:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I'd never been to Northern Spain until last year when we rode down to Portugal, can do France any time.
Must check out Salamanca and Burgos; beautiful.
One of the best roads I've ever ridden is the road back from Burgos to Santander. Not the main motorway mind you. I cannot remember the name. I think it's a red road, but it is superb.

I think the road is 623

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Hi Guys & Gals,

keep your hand on your wallet anywhere south of Lyon...

seriously though, whilst the french countryside is pretty much crime free, big cities & tourist traps are the same the world over & the south coast is particularly bad.

ride safe & enjoy :thumbright:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Ritz,

Plenty to see if you are into some stunning scenery. :thumbup:
Here are a few places that spring to mind, working from the West, but really the whole area of the Pyrenees from Atlantic to Med is fantastic -

Inland from Santander is the Picos de Europa mountains.... the area is worth a couple of days... take the cable car at Fuente de.
Biarritz - smaller than you think and still low season at present so should be quietish
Bardenas Reales in Spain - fantastic rocks - spagehetti western scenery
Luz St Savour near the Cirque de Gavarnie - good campsite. From here take the Tour de France route over the Col de Tourmalet to Bagneres de Luchon
Further East in Spain N260 is a great biking road - at Sort there is a good bar the Escalarre Rock Cafe and Noguera Pallaresa campsite.

The road up or down through Andorra is like a race track... loads of bike shops though, especially in Santa Coloma south of Andorra la Vielha. Pas de la Case at the top is just for duty free tobacco and booze… not so pretty really but the road out down to Ax-les-thermes is worth a ride and have a feeling you’d meet one or two others doing the same.

One of my favourite day rides is a circle from Tarascon-sur-Ariege up to Vicdessos, Aulus les bains, nip down to Guzet Neige or Seix for a cuppa then over the top to Massat, Col de Port and back to Tarascon... :thumbup::thumbup: there’s a campsite there called the Pre-Lombard. Loads of big caves to see near Tarascon.

From Tarascon head for Bompas and take the Route des Corniches to Ax-les-thermes then there are a couple of choices: the D613 up to the Col de Chioula -great views and over the Plateau de Sault to Quillan (campsite just behind the railway line). Near Quillan there is rafting, canoeing etc and chateaux to visit and then you could pick up the D117 with a detour at St Paul de Fenouillet to see the Galamus Gorge (mega place) :thumb: and then on to the Med Coast... stop at Collioure (3 campsites Les Criques de Porteill is on the cliffs) or Banyuls sur mer (1 campsite La Pinede) or carry on a little further south back into Spain.

We tend to feel that the mid to east of the Pyrenees is the better part… having lived here for six years. Obviously keep your wits about you in big towns but the Pyrenees is generally safe as houses… can’t comment on further up the Med Coast, don’t really know it too well; Marseille though, does have a bad reputation and I think Nice is a bit overrated.

The above assumes you are two up and sticking to the roads?

What bike /colour have you got in case we spot you as we are out and about in the area a lot... you never know.;)

Have a great trip and post photos.

Cheers
Potski

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
N630 between Oviedo and Leon in Spain was awesome last time I was in the area and a decentish hostel at Golpejar at the Southern end. And as others have said almost anywhere in the Picos is worth a look, as is the the Northern Spanish coast.

Potski mention camping at Criques du Porteil near Collioure. We just happened on this site in September last year and it is brill. Camped right on top of the cliffs with nothing but a fence between us and the sea. Pricey though. If you go here take the road south toward Spain it is fantastic.

Back on the Atlantic coast I enjoyed St Jean de Luz a couple of years ago. Biarritz was disappointing. North of there I have never found anywhere interesting until Brittany - but I have mostly just sped through.

Your best trip will be if you use recommendations here as just a guide and let your own instincts and fate guide you. Whatever ENJOY!!

Edit..... Forgot to mention Spain is loads cheaper than France.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the all the tips and advice guys, all greatly appreciated.

I will be riding a 03 blue and red AT with top box and tank bag. This should make you chuckle though, the 3 other guys i am going with are riding a 1000 Fazer, Aprilia Touono and a Ducati 999 (ouch!!)!

Hopefully a massage every day will help the lad on the Ducati!!!;);)

I will hopefully bump into some of you guys at some time.:D:D:D

I

1 - 7 of 7 Posts