Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to get these 2 systems installed on my bike but not sure what kit to buy.The honda satnav is a rip off so would ideally like to fit a garmin with a starcom.
Can these be fitted directly to the battery...I ask as the honda sat-nav requires a quartet harness and have read somewhere about some things can effect the EFI(might have got that wrong though lol)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Would like to get these 2 systems installed on my bike but not sure what kit to buy.The honda satnav is a rip off so would ideally like to fit a garmin with a starcom.
Can these be fitted directly to the battery...I ask as the honda sat-nav requires a quartet harness and have read somewhere about some things can effect the EFI(might have got that wrong though lol)
The honda satnav is a garmin rebadged zumo unit, best check availability of your starcom if you have to buy one because either starcom or autocom have gone bust. The harness you will need for a power supply if your bike is the newer efi model as Power cables on bikes now are mainly communication cables so cutting in the wrong place would send the wrong messages back to the ecu

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its a new transalp on a 10 plate and thought i had better check lol.Looks like i will have to shell out for the honda sat-nav and harness.
What intecom device could i use in conjunction(rider to passenger).
Thanks for the info by the way.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Yes its a new transalp on a 10 plate and thought i had better check lol.Looks like i will have to shell out for the honda sat-nav and harness.
What intecom device could i use in conjunction(rider to passenger).
Thanks for the info by the way.
Starcom or Autocom ( now same company) will both work for comms

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
You can connect stuff like this to a feed from the battery so you don't have to cut into the wiring harness. The Autocom unit switches off when you unplug the rider headset.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can use a non-Honda Garmin without any issues.
You'll probably save enough cash by not buying the Honda branded Garmin to pay for a good Autocom or similar.
It is Autocom who've "gone bust" recently but they have been bought by Tecstar Electronics, who maunfacture Starcom and I believe are still available.
I had a Streetpilot and a Quest on my Transalp, coupled with an intercom. Both systems were wired directly to the battery, so no need to cut into harness or anything else.
I have a Zumo / Autocom combo on my Vara now, wired the same way and no issues whatsoever.
Just bear in mind that you will probably need to fit an inline filter to prevent interference if using bike power for both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure you can use a non-Honda Garmin without any issues.
You'll probably save enough cash by not buying the Honda branded Garmin to pay for a good Autocom or similar.
It is Autocom who've "gone bust" recently but they have been bought by Tecstar Electronics, who maunfacture Starcom and I believe are still available.
I had a Streetpilot and a Quest on my Transalp, coupled with an intercom. Both systems were wired directly to the battery, so no need to cut into harness or anything else.
I have a Zumo / Autocom combo on my Vara now, wired the same way and no issues whatsoever.
Just bear in mind that you will probably need to fit an inline filter to prevent interference if using bike power for both.

Cool....the zumo|starcom is what i wanted to wire directly to my battery so they would both work in conjunction with each other.
Electrics are not my thing so what is a "inline filter"...what do they cost and how hard to fit.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts

Cool....the zumo|starcom is what i wanted to wire directly to my battery so they would both work in conjunction with each other.
Electrics are not my thing so what is a "inline filter"...what do they cost and how hard to fit.
I think you'll find that they come with inline fuses in, I know the Garmin does. Just look for a fuse in the battery power lead.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I was at the Starcom/Autocom place in St Ives last week. They intend to keep both ranges going but if they merge after a while, they intend to keep any kit developed thereafter compatible with both systems.

Both switch off when you remove the headset.

The sat-nav usually comes with its own fuse and will turn off when you remove it from the bike.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I was at the Starcom/Autocom place in St Ives last week. They intend to keep both ranges going but if they merge after a while, they intend to keep any kit developed thereafter compatible with both systems.

Both switch off when you remove the headset.

The sat-nav usually comes with its own fuse and will turn off when you remove it from the bike.
The Sat Nav can be set to turn on and off with the power to the bike but it is not too difficult to switch it off manually.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's just a noise suppressor thing (a little black plastic box of tricks that prevents ground loop interference from different earth paths aparrently!). The Autocom one just plugs in to the audio lead from the Satnav and the lead out of it goes into the comms unit.
Look on Autocom's website under accessories page and you'll see a Zumo and the various leads. It's not difficult and there's plenty of folk on here who'll talk you through it all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info though am now more confused than when i first started this thread lol.
Think i need a list of kit to buy then give it all to a sparky and ask him to sort it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts