Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know exactly what GPS systems people have on their bike.

I'd like to list them here, and we'll probably make an article out of it.

I only want bike solutions inc mounting hardware, and bike solutions that are weatherproof!
So no solutions like mine where I use a Dell Axim X5, CF GPS Card, and a Sandwhich bag over the top to keep it waterproof.
But if I used a Dell Axim with say a Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS both held in an Otter Box then that would be fine.

So come on then what have you got that works.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
bugger a day late :twisted:

Have a Garmin Etrex venture on a simple handle bar mount, ( used it in Norway and then down loaded the tracks).

I use it for walking mainly but the trip page is great for speed, clock etc.

Just got a garmin V which is full sat nav as opposed to the Etrx which is simply a GPS bolted to the bars.....

after advice here have ordered a ram mount
bracket RAM HOL GA2
mounted with the
swivel mount RAM B 149Z

if other don't post I will post pic ( was going to go for the new Garmin Quest but picked up a bargin on ebay with the Garmin V

any one got a route plan to the stella, my first pass route take me on motorways through france from Holland. I am sure there is a more interesting route?

Raymo

·
Registered
649 Posts
Tom Tom 5 on Dell X50v using non brand bluetooth GPS receiver

Dell mounted in RAM aquabox on handlebar mount.
GPS receiver held on homemade shelf next to trip computer

S

·
0 Posts
I use an iPAQ 3900 with bluetooth GPS in an Otter box fitted to the handlebars with a RAM mount. Software is either TomTom 5 or Fugawi if I want OS style maps. Works really well.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Magellan Meridian Colo(u)r, DirectRoute maps.
Like Raymo, I've mounted it on the bars using RAM mounts and it's wired to the battery.

Cheers
-Simon

·
Registered
542 Posts
When I organise the mount for it, I will have TomTom running on a Symbian mobile phone in a case mounted on the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
GPS V and a Mitac Mio 168

Interestingly enough, touratech do a PDA weatherproof mount which is a lot smaller than the otterbox and other armoured boxes.. Having both it's also good to see the difference in software that's on these units.. I was thinking of doing a proper article on this as I can compare the 2 side by side..

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Garmin Quest, motorcycle fitting and Ram mount. Wired to battery and can play that lovely lady's voice through the Starcom system if I want.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got a Garmin Quest.

On the XR I use a RAM mount with no audio or power connections.

I've got a Touratech lockable mount for the TA. I've got a power-only cable for it, although they do a power and audio cable if you didn't buy a bike to get away from the sound of wimmin nagging. :lol:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
the sound of wimmin nagging
The difference is, this woman knows the way.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Whealie said:
Garmin Quest, motorcycle fitting and Ram mount. Wired to battery and can play that lovely lady's voice through the Starcom system if I want.
I didn't know you could connect them to a motorcycle battery?

As for what I plan to get, I'm planning to buy a Tom Tom Rider. And if what was said above is right I'll connect it to my battery as well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Trickster said:
Whealie said:
I didn't know you could connect them to a motorcycle battery?

As for what I plan to get, I'm planning to buy a Tom Tom Rider. And if what was said above is right I'll connect it to my battery as well.
Yep - The Quest only comes with a car kit and a mains charger. You could possibly use the car kit on a bike if you had a cigar lighter socket - but the cigar lighter plug has an integrated speaker which you'd never hear on a bike, and the mount is too flimsy to be safe.

Garmin offer a motorcycle mount which has cabling for power input from bike, and audio output. (Think this needs a RAM arm to mount it to)

RAM do a complete bike mount, to which you can add a power and audio cable.

The Touratech mounts come in 4 flavours - anti-vibration or normal, and lockable or non variants of each. Then you can add either a power-only cable, or a power and audio cable.

If the Tomtom rider doesn't come with a cable to allow it to be powered from a 12V source, I'd be very surprised - especially considering the utterly ludicrous sums of money they're asking for the thing....

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
If the Tomtom rider doesn't come with a cable to allow it to be powered from a 12V source, I'd be very surprised - especially considering the utterly ludicrous sums of money they're asking for the thing....
Yeah but if Trickster's buying it I bet it LOOKS nice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Rob, its down to what you want to use it for, the route finder stuff is great for trundling around big cities; and town to town; but I might be ever so slightly twitched about using it off the tarmac.

My hand held GPS is great for giving a direction when moving, lat long, and reversing the route, can be used as an alternative speedo, but it won't replace a map and compass. Its an aid and when it breaks its useless.

PK

1 - 20 of 64 Posts