Honda XRV Forum banner

Sat Nav / GPS Solutions

15K views 63 replies 21 participants last post by  matt 
#1 ·
I'm interested to know exactly what GPS systems people have on their bike.

I'd like to list them here, and we'll probably make an article out of it.

I only want bike solutions inc mounting hardware, and bike solutions that are weatherproof!
So no solutions like mine where I use a Dell Axim X5, CF GPS Card, and a Sandwhich bag over the top to keep it waterproof.
But if I used a Dell Axim with say a Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS both held in an Otter Box then that would be fine.

So come on then what have you got that works.

#2 ·
bugger a day late :twisted:

Have a Garmin Etrex venture on a simple handle bar mount, ( used it in Norway and then down loaded the tracks).

I use it for walking mainly but the trip page is great for speed, clock etc.

Just got a garmin V which is full sat nav as opposed to the Etrx which is simply a GPS bolted to the bars.....

after advice here have ordered a ram mount
bracket RAM HOL GA2
mounted with the
swivel mount RAM B 149Z

if other don't post I will post pic ( was going to go for the new Garmin Quest but picked up a bargin on ebay with the Garmin V

any one got a route plan to the stella, my first pass route take me on motorways through france from Holland. I am sure there is a more interesting route?

Raymo

#6 ·
When I organise the mount for it, I will have TomTom running on a Symbian mobile phone in a case mounted on the handlebars.

#9 ·
Garmin Quest, motorcycle fitting and Ram mount. Wired to battery and can play that lovely lady's voice through the Starcom system if I want.

#10 ·
Got a Garmin Quest.

On the XR I use a RAM mount with no audio or power connections.

I've got a Touratech lockable mount for the TA. I've got a power-only cable for it, although they do a power and audio cable if you didn't buy a bike to get away from the sound of wimmin nagging. :lol:

#13 ·
Whealie said:
Garmin Quest, motorcycle fitting and Ram mount. Wired to battery and can play that lovely lady's voice through the Starcom system if I want.
I didn't know you could connect them to a motorcycle battery?

As for what I plan to get, I'm planning to buy a Tom Tom Rider. And if what was said above is right I'll connect it to my battery as well.

#14 ·
Trickster said:
Whealie said:
I didn't know you could connect them to a motorcycle battery?

As for what I plan to get, I'm planning to buy a Tom Tom Rider. And if what was said above is right I'll connect it to my battery as well.
Yep - The Quest only comes with a car kit and a mains charger. You could possibly use the car kit on a bike if you had a cigar lighter socket - but the cigar lighter plug has an integrated speaker which you'd never hear on a bike, and the mount is too flimsy to be safe.

Garmin offer a motorcycle mount which has cabling for power input from bike, and audio output. (Think this needs a RAM arm to mount it to)

RAM do a complete bike mount, to which you can add a power and audio cable.

The Touratech mounts come in 4 flavours - anti-vibration or normal, and lockable or non variants of each. Then you can add either a power-only cable, or a power and audio cable.

If the Tomtom rider doesn't come with a cable to allow it to be powered from a 12V source, I'd be very surprised - especially considering the utterly ludicrous sums of money they're asking for the thing....

#15 ·
If the Tomtom rider doesn't come with a cable to allow it to be powered from a 12V source, I'd be very surprised - especially considering the utterly ludicrous sums of money they're asking for the thing....
Yeah but if Trickster's buying it I bet it LOOKS nice.

#18 ·
Hi Rob, its down to what you want to use it for, the route finder stuff is great for trundling around big cities; and town to town; but I might be ever so slightly twitched about using it off the tarmac.

My hand held GPS is great for giving a direction when moving, lat long, and reversing the route, can be used as an alternative speedo, but it won't replace a map and compass. Its an aid and when it breaks its useless.

PK

#21 ·
Whealie said:
Yeah but if Trickster's buying it I bet it LOOKS nice.
:lol: Veeery funny. But no, except for a small shield over the top of the screen (to prevent glare on the screen from the sun) it looks hardly any different to a normal Tom Tom, or from what I can gather from the pics I've seen anyway. The real big differences are that it's waterproof (so dispensing with the need of any unsightly plastic covering) and it's more forgiving on being operated with thick gloves.

#22 ·
I have a Garmin Quest on a Ram Mount , Attached to a home made Bracket . The bracket is made from a flat piece of metal bought from B&Q For about a pound. I sent an email around christmas time to the G.P.S.Warehouse to get measurments for two of the Ram Mounting brackets and have not got any reply as yet hence the home made bracket. I did not go for the option of wired in power , But if it needs wired in i can always add that at a later date .I can swap it over to the works van with the mount it was supplied with .A great little unit with good build quality i am very pleased with it.fw750x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.