Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had the urge / desire for a satnav, I use AutoRoute on my laptop in the truck but I have recently been using my iphone 4S with Navfree and View Ranger for bike distance travel and byway bimbling. I'm planning a couple of European trips next year and questioning whether I need a dedicated satnav. My iphone goes to sleep if it gets cold, maybe a new battery is required?, and I haven't found how to set a route with multiple way points. I'm looking at either Tomtom LM350 or Garmin Lumo 660, or are these too complicated for my needs? or maybe a 2610? Can you still upgrade the maps on these? I would like the ability to plan a route on my computer and then download it onto the gps device. Will these satnav give sufficient detail for greenlanning or would I be better with something like a Garmin Montana? I can still use View Ranger for recording my adventure.

Any suggestions

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you looked at the Peaklife GPS? i recomended this to a few friends and now loads are using them, they dont come with software installed but i can help you out with getting Memory map ,IGO8 and TOMTOM installed onto the device and it is very very easy . You can plan and transfer gpx routes from friends straight onto the device.
They are under £100 from China

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts

I've been looking at one of those, didn't know if they were any good. A lot cheaper than any other bike nav system I've seen.

Might invest in one in the new year then

Rob

·
Registered
224 Posts
Had mine for about 3 years now and out in all weathers. I have used it for trail riding around the country,week in France, 10 days in Scotland and a few weekends in Ireland.
Never had any issues and can easily be swapped between OS maps and road maps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
But a RAM Marine Box and mounts and use a good quality, standard, car SatNav with an external audio jack to take to your helmet.

I use a Garmin Nuvi, been all over Europe with it, doesn't interfere with Bluetooth helmet comms as it is hard wired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 660 with lifetime map upgrades. It is waterproof and made to withstand the vibrations of a motorcycle.Garmin also have Basecamp that you download for trip planning. A Great piece of kit.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you looked at the Peaklife GPS? i recomended this to a few friends and now loads are using them, they dont come with software installed but i can help you out with getting Memory map ,IGO8 and TOMTOM installed onto the device and it is very very easy . You can plan and transfer gpx routes from friends straight onto the device.
Bought one at the Bike Show today under the banner Bluetronics, £110 with maps installed but not sure what they are ( Nav N Go 8 ? Navteq 2012.Q3?). I would be very interested in your offer to see what you have on yours compared to mine

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bought one at the Bike Show today under the banner Bluetronics, £110 with maps installed but not sure what they are ( Nav N Go 8 ? Navteq 2012.Q3?). I would be very interested in your offer to see what you have on yours compared to mine
Basically you have a road map installed which is IGO8 but i am sure they are only allowed to put a very basic trial version on, Not sure if you have the full one but could be wrong. I have TOMTOM ,IGO8 and memory map OS maps. The OS maps cover the whole of the UK as 1:50 , 1:250 on a road atlas

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Sons bought me a tomtom v5 very good bit of kit , does every thing you could possibly need , came with U.K. and Europe maps.
Great for keeping in touch with folks with the Bluetooth phone thingy.
Changed the voice to a guys voice , I just got fed up with that moaning bi- atch.:D

·
Registered
942 Posts
ive recently purchased the peaklife gps it came with IG08 already installed for uk and Europe , is there any advantage to installing tomtom ? the system that's on it seems ok,although ive not used it much yet and it dosent use postcodes you need to type in the full address to find a place,would that change if I was running tomtom instead ?
and how do you install your o.s maps ? I bought the gps partly to help when green laning and for a trip to Europe next year but so far only used it in my van,
all new to me these gps things , you can probably tell by all the questions :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I sell cards that come complete with OS maps of the UK and are ideal for greenlaning. The card simply goes into your peaklife gps and you either choose to open/run IGO8 or OS maps. These are the most popular OS maps that people use . it also comes with everything to install it on your pc.
TOMTOM i have on a different card that can be bought seperate or i could do a deal where you have TOMTOM and OS maps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts