Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wonder if anyone can help with a bit of lateral thinking.
I absolutely refuse to pay megabucks for a bike specific Sat-nav unit and so plumped for a Navman S50 for £75 thinking i can pop it in the clear pocket of my tank bag bottom. but than got to thinking about these otter box things (but couldnt find one for a nav man.
Does any know or have experience of waterproofing sat-navs- for use on the bike? or know of any kit which would do the job and allow me to mount the Nav man more conventionally

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Hi wonder if anyone can help with a bit of lateral thinking.
I absolutely refuse to pay megabucks for a bike specific Sat-nav unit and so plumped for a Navman S50 for £75 thinking i can pop it in the clear pocket of my tank bag bottom. but than got to thinking about these otter box things (but couldnt find one for a nav man.
Does any know or have experience of waterproofing sat-navs- for use on the bike? or know of any kit which would do the job and allow me to mount the Nav man more conventionally
hiya
I have one of the covers that I bought for the iPhone I have. I stopped using it when I got a tankbag- you are welcome to it if you want. Not far away from
you.
Gary

·
Registered
924 Posts
the givi one on the left is a very well made and sturdy piece of kit. i have one, but havent got round to using it (so cant vouch for its use practically or its waterproofing)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Or you could make something out of acetate sheet

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
I use a garmin 760 which i mount behind the screen. That keeps 99% of the weather off it. if i think it's going to be really rainy, then i put a freezer bag over it - pull it tight and use a bit if wire wrap to hold it in place. it's worked for me for 3 years so far....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great PM me and we will meet up could even coincide it with a rideout? tho it will be another two weeks or so till i get valerie back from pyramid:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

What have you knocked up can't quite make it out, does not look water proof ???
It's more a rain hat than anything else. It's an acetate sheet heated and then stretched over the satnav to form what could best be described as a semi rigid shell that fits the satnav exactly. I suppose it's a bit like one of these blister packs that you buy stuff in that shred your fingers when you try to open them. It's not waterproof in so much as you couldn't dunk the unit in water as it's open at the bottom and a bit at the back for the mount and cables but any water that gets on the unit simply runs off. The advantage over a poly bag is that it's much easier to see the screen and being made from a sheet acetate you don't get lots of different reflections. You can still use the touch screen ok.

On sunny days I don''t use it and if the weather turns I just slip it on and carry on as before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts