Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the BBC Technology web-site - Sat-navs could affect driving ability, say researchers.

Worrying quote from the story - "While they could cope with simple instructions, they started to swerve, speed up or fail to notice pedestrians if they had too much information."

What was not reported, however, was the sometimes cretinously stupid positions that some drivers appear to consider suitable for their Prat-Navs. But, you've got to start somewhere.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I always have the volume off on my sat-nav the voice drives me mental. Quick look at the sat nav to see distance too and direction of turn works for me.

Lets me concentrate on getting the pedestrians when the jump out the way, cyclist are much easier :hitler:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
When we did our Pyrenees trip there were a couple of sport bikes that tagged along with us for the ride across Spain to the start. They were also avid satnav fans whilst we were using roadbook and maps. On the big roads the satnav was fine apart from not having 50% of the new roads Spain has built over the last 5 years !!

When we got to the bends they were starting to slow up and when we got to the twisty bit we lost them - it was raining and we were on knobblies so we had much more grip on the tarmac (according to them) !!

When they caught up they cited how good satnav was at telling us what bends were up ahead - at this point I had to issue a friendly warning that satnav would not keep up with where you actually are on the road due to time lag and on tighter twisties and hairpins and would give a false reading of what was up ahead. I went on to point out that they should really be reading the road ahead - sat nav could be telling them they had a straight road when in fact they would have already arrived at the next bend !! Accident waiting to happen

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There was a shunt on a local road last week. A couple following their satnav came up to a T-junction and drove straight out across the main road, without slowing. They were T-boned by another car, with significant injuries all round. Their excuse was that the satnav did not show it as a T-junction.

What the F did they think that big window up the front was for, or that big triangular sign with a red border and STOP written on it? It really is scary to see how much people trust satnavs without understanding their limits. I ride that main road regularly, I'm not sure I'd have seen them coming in time if I'd been in the second vehicle. Or on the bike...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
From the BBC Technology web-site - Sat-navs could affect driving ability, say researchers.

Worrying quote from the story - "While they could cope with simple instructions, they started to swerve, speed up or fail to notice pedestrians if they had too much information."
I can only agree with that, i have sat-nav on my bike but it tends to only get used for the last 5-10% of a journey when your trying to find a street name in a big town or something. Rest of the time they are simply not needed unless your a complete biff as there's these big things on the side of roads usually green or blue telling you how far to your destination and what road to take

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts