Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have tried a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 and to be honest I didn't find it user friendly or easy to see on the bike, admittedly it was a few years old (but in full working order) but just didn't like it. Also the lack of battery limited its use. So, I've just sold it on eBay and will now be looking again.

I'll have limited use for the tool so I don't want to spend £500!!, I am also keen on paper things.....like maps, its just that I can now see the usefulness of a satnav for assistance.

Any great suggestions for a second test?
Could it be my mp3 player as well?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
you dont have to spend £500, depends if you want euro maps, and a big name brand really.
i do have a garmin zumo 400 which i bought 2nd hand at a bargain price but by the time id bought euro maps and a car adaptor i might as well have bought a brand new 500 that had all that as standard and was £100 off at the time. thought i was being clever but didnt shop around
they can be used as a mp3 player, but if your used to paper maps and thinking about where your going why do you think you need one? i must admit they are handy to have but not without hair pulling out moments due to pilot error, they are only as good as the info you put in it to search with. france has the great thing of writing their addresses differently to what garmin will recognise, for instance.
these days i would get a nokia navigator/blackberry/iphone type smartphone, and put it in my tankbag or an otterbox on the dash

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Have tried a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 and to be honest I didn't find it user friendly or easy to see on the bike, admittedly it was a few years old (but in full working order) but just didn't like it. Also the lack of battery limited its use. So, I've just sold it on eBay and will now be looking again.

I'll have limited use for the tool so I don't want to spend £500!!, I am also keen on paper things.....like maps, its just that I can now see the usefulness of a satnav for assistance.

Have you thought / have already an iPhone. I have tomtom and copilot on he iPhone inside either the tankbag or on a waterproofish box on the bars. I connect it to my headset either by Bluetooth or simply a set of earbud type headphones (when it is in the tankbag)
All works fine and as copilot is only £19.99 and I already had iPhone it's a steal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
bought a nav man s50 3D 75 quid then an aqua box to suit with ram mount for another 75 quid. great set up cheap as chips box was lockable could also use in the car (then some scrote nicked it (from the car) but at least it was only 75 quid down the swanny now i am looking for a replacement.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

You don't have to spend hundreds on satnav, yes if you want the latest fashion toy to keep up with the Jones's buy a Zumo. My Tomtom 510 gets used on bike and in car it is the same thing as the Tomtom rider 2 but £200 cheaper as it doesn't have big on screen buttons and a waterproof case. It has been in Belgium, France and Spain in some of the worst storms i've ever experienced gotsoaked and never failed me yet ( touch wood as using it tomorrow). Spend what you feel is right for you, they are a great tool but lets face it for any journey your going on it's only the last 5% of the journey you need it for to find that obscure street in a city, town or Country you've never been before. The other 95% of that journey had huge signs plastered everywhere giving you directions and i never go anywhere without a map just because i have satnav what happens if the screen packs up or it looses recepton or electronic failure.......

Car units are everybit as good as bike units only half the price and you can get all your bike mounts from

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

so don't be fooled when someone tells you that you have to spend £500 on a Zumo for the bike and then £200:(:( for a Touratwat mount for it

JUst my 2penneth

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I am still experimenting with Sat nav. I tried a secondhand garmin SP3 but it now lives in the car and is never used. If someone wants it including a TT mount make me an offer.

I put tom tom on my iPhone. Excellent value at £42 but the GPS chip will run the battery flat in less than 1 hour so you deffo need external power. And as Jason said if you are a map person with a sense of direction it is only really the very fine detail in cities that sat Nav is really helpful. All the rest of the time I just fiddle with the various trip information buttons or use it for those "I wonder how far/long" type thoughts. In Ireland on TLD the map was out of date and I ignored all the instructions and followed signs instead with the only useful bit on the sat nav screen being the time and distance to go.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Having used various sat navs over the years I disagree about the "fashion toy" and "keeping up with the Jones's" jibes. Actually the Zumo etc does have various advantages over car sat navs and so on, but they may not be big enough advantages for your budget and use.

I do agree though that many people nowadays find that smart-phones are fine for occasional use if that suits your purposes. Otherwise pretty much any car sat nav in a Givi S850 bag or Ram Aqua Box should do. Some links here.

The 2610 is a VERY old device, so don't be put off by how difficult it is to use. Devices have come on a long way since.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
. All the rest of the time I just fiddle with the various trip information buttons or use it for those "I wonder how far/long" type thoughts. QUOTE]

I do the same with mine see how long it will take to get to destination etc, how many miles left

Having used various sat navs over the years I disagree about the "fashion toy" and "keeping up with the Jones's" jibes. Actually the Zumo etc does have various advantages over car sat navs and so on, but they may not be big enough advantages for your budget and use.

I know the Zumo does more like offroad track etcs, but so does my 60 csx and i have put metroguide, city navigator and topo ukv2 on my memory card and overlap each map which is ok for offroading gives more detail but it's nothing compared to how good the TOmtom is for re-routing etc on roads they are 2 completly different things.

The other thing you have to realize is that if you go offroading on satnav alone you should never be going if you can't orientate and map read your a danger to yourself and a risk to agency's like coastguard and mountain rescue.

Also most of the crap that comes on these flashy units is never used to it limits my 60scx does far more than i need, but it is only used to track where i've been or when visibility becomes less than 50m it then comes out of my pocket, but if on the xr it is mounted on the handlebars purely for accessibility

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts

I do agree though that many people nowadays find that smart-phones are fine for occasional use if that suits your purposes.
Got to say that I agree with DDY, in that I have found my Zumo to be a good and really robust bit of kit, better than the 2 car sagnags I have used and infinitely better than using a phone IME. For the very occasional "get me out of this here town" type use, I have used my smartphone but never really found it a very satisfying experience :) The Zumo is used in 2 cars and on the bike, and more importantly my technophobic wife and daughter can use it.... Now that is a recommendation indeed!! :thumbup:

As other have said, it is the last few miles that navs are so good, but I really do love them when negotiating strange towns/cities, especially when abroad! Around Lille last year, I found it near on essential with the awful signing!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, thanks for all the very useful input. I think reading through this has confirmed my opinion that I can get through life without a satnav but for those last few difficult miles in an unknown city then they're worth it. Maps and signs are great and I do have a reasonable sense of direction. I do however like the idea of knowing how far to go, being able to log where I've been and making snapshot decisions on route by changing direction and it recalculating as you go.

I shall look for a suitable 'used' item on ebay and see where it takes me (excuse the pun.......;))

Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts