Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE forgive me if indeed this is a genuine sale, but you know when alarm bells start ringing... :rolleyes:

Last week I thought I'd stumbled across a cracking bargain of a 2004 Suzuki DRZ, one owner, FSH, mint condition and only 3,554 miles for the bargain price of just £1,200. Just the job for a winter commuter and green laner I thought.

The ad appeared on 28th October on London Gumtree and I enquired about the bike via email on the same day.

I heard nothing until 3rd November when I received an email late in the day telling me that yes, the bike was still for sale, but that the seller was now residing in Newcastle. OK, I guess someone could move from one end of the country to the other over a weekend...benefit of the doubt and all that. However there were just a few niggling grammatical errors in the mail, and it all seemed to make better sense if I read it in a thick Nigerian accent - if you catch my drift. Once again, my deepest apologies IF this was a genuine response.

" Hello ! The Suzuki DRZ is still for sale. I have decided to sell it since there is no need for it here. I have recently moved away from London, due to my work here. I'm an interior designer for a large hotel resort in Newcastle.
I have received a brand new VW passat here. The DRZ is absolutely great as you can see from the pictures, I'm the first owner. it has never been involved in any kind of accident, was serviced only by Suzuki authorized service, never needed any major repairing, just regular maintenance, anyway everything is listed in the service book. There is no damage to it.
The final price is 1200 pounds since I want to sell it fast.

Regards !"

Newcastle is reknowned for it's "Resort Hotels" isn't it?! Hmmmm

However, by the time I received that response I'd made enquiries about various DRZ's from various places and I couldn't actually remember IF this was the one from Gumtree or not, and as the original ad had disappeared after the first day I couldn't check back, so, curious to see where this "deal" was going to go, I sent another mail asking for more details and the original pictures to be sent through. Here's what i received this morning!

"Hello and please excuse my late answer,
Like I told you before I'm in Newcastle right now, i'm not coming to London for two months at list. I'm very busy here, this is a really big project i'm working at and its taking almost all of my time.
The bike is in excellent condition as I told you before. The MOT is due to expire on 3 April 2009 and Tax is due to expire 18 April 2009.
Anyway I really want to sell the DRZ since there is no need for it here, so I recommend we use a specialized and reputable company which handles this kind of transactions. There is a British company here which handles merchandise and vehicle shipping all over Europe, including UK and is also an UPS Delivery partner. I have contacted them to see how can I send the package to you the safest way.
They told me a very simple and effective solution: I'll send the bike to them (they'll come and pick it up from me), they are going to inspect it and check the bike's integrity and functionality and if everything is as specified, the bike will ready to be sent to you and it will be transported to your specified location. You will receive the Suzuki DRZ (they will come and bring it to your door) and you will have a seven day verification period, which time you're free to decide if you would like to keep it or return the bike.
I think this is the best way since they are UPS partners (I have a long history working with UPS, and they've never failed) and since they are handling all the process for us including the transportation. Their fee is not that big (I think we can split the cost of it in half). They will also be carrying the buyer / seller documents form for us.
I need to have your full name, phone and address where you want to receive it, so I can be able to send the bike to them and begin the delivery process to your address place.
Let me know.
"

Somewhat suspicious eh?! I shan't be pursuing that one any further! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Definitely a scam, ask him how you can make payment and he'll tell you moneygram or western union transfer.

I had a very similar one involving a ducati 748 which was advertised at only 1400

Good fun to string him along as I did with mine, just ask how you can make payment and see where it goes.

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
since when did tax discs run form the middle of the month Ok you can get a week extra on new vehicles but not secondhand ones
Merv

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
since when did tax discs run form the middle of the month Ok you can get a week extra on new vehicles but not secondhand ones
Merv
Good point merv, I missed that:thumb:

·
Registered
740 Posts
PLEASE forgive me if indeed this is a genuine sale, but you know when alarm bells start ringing... :rolleyes:

Last week I thought I'd stumbled across a cracking bargain of a 2004 Suzuki DRZ, one owner, FSH, mint condition and only 3,554 miles for the bargain price of just £1,200. Just the job for a winter commuter and green laner I thought.

The ad appeared on 28th October on London Gumtree and I enquired about the bike via email on the same day.

I heard nothing until 3rd November when I received an email late in the day telling me that yes, the bike was still for sale, but that the seller was now residing in Newcastle. OK, I guess someone could move from one end of the country to the other over a weekend...benefit of the doubt and all that. However there were just a few niggling grammatical errors in the mail, and it all seemed to make better sense if I read it in a thick Nigerian accent - if you catch my drift. Once again, my deepest apologies IF this was a genuine response.

" Hello ! The Suzuki DRZ is still for sale. I have decided to sell it since there is no need for it here. I have recently moved away from London, due to my work here. I'm an interior designer for a large hotel resort in Newcastle.
I have received a brand new VW passat here. The DRZ is absolutely great as you can see from the pictures, I'm the first owner. it has never been involved in any kind of accident, was serviced only by Suzuki authorized service, never needed any major repairing, just regular maintenance, anyway everything is listed in the service book. There is no damage to it.
The final price is 1200 pounds since I want to sell it fast.
Regards !"

Newcastle is reknowned for it's "Resort Hotels" isn't it?! Hmmmm

However, by the time I received that response I'd made enquiries about various DRZ's from various places and I couldn't actually remember IF this was the one from Gumtree or not, and as the original ad had disappeared after the first day I couldn't check back, so, curious to see where this "deal" was going to go, I sent another mail asking for more details and the original pictures to be sent through. Here's what i received this morning!

"Hello and please excuse my late answer,
Like I told you before I'm in Newcastle right now, i'm not coming to London for two months at list. I'm very busy here, this is a really big project i'm working at and its taking almost all of my time.
The bike is in excellent condition as I told you before. The MOT is due to expire on 3 April 2009 and Tax is due to expire 18 April 2009.
Anyway I really want to sell the DRZ since there is no need for it here, so I recommend we use a specialized and reputable company which handles this kind of transactions. There is a British company here which handles merchandise and vehicle shipping all over Europe, including UK and is also an UPS Delivery partner. I have contacted them to see how can I send the package to you the safest way.
They told me a very simple and effective solution: I'll send the bike to them (they'll come and pick it up from me), they are going to inspect it and check the bike's integrity and functionality and if everything is as specified, the bike will ready to be sent to you and it will be transported to your specified location. You will receive the Suzuki DRZ (they will come and bring it to your door) and you will have a seven day verification period, which time you're free to decide if you would like to keep it or return the bike.
I think this is the best way since they are UPS partners (I have a long history working with UPS, and they've never failed) and since they are handling all the process for us including the transportation. Their fee is not that big (I think we can split the cost of it in half). They will also be carrying the buyer / seller documents form for us.
I need to have your full name, phone and address where you want to receive it, so I can be able to send the bike to them and begin the delivery process to your address place.
Let me know."

Somewhat suspicious eh?! I shan't be pursuing that one any further! :rolleyes: :D

This is a big time scam.. Same point made regarding tax."Tax is due to expire 18 April 2009" ?? Also the tone of the Text.."There is a British company here which handles "!! Hello, where do we live ??
Also you need to ask yourself who would sell a 2004 model for £1200.00 ?
Possible by hard to come by..

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Email back and say you have a friend in Newcastle who can check the bike over for you and when can he come and look at it.......

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Completely ignore it. Perhaps drop a copy of the email along to the police and then get on with your life:thumbright::thumbright: There are far more interesting things to do.:blob2:

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
And while you're at it tell him you'd be interested in some design work on your new pad -I mean if he's working in top resorts in Newcastle he must be good.....

:)

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
I must get at least one email a week from Nigerian sources saying I have been left millions of pounds from dead relatives I never had, so when I get the 10 zillon pounds thats on its way, I promise to buy each XRVer the bike of their choice, orders please to [email protected] nigerian mistry of justice.yahoo.con

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I must get at least one email a week from Nigerian sources saying I have been left millions of pounds from dead relatives I never had, so when I get the 10 zillon pounds thats on its way, I promise to buy each XRVer the bike of their choice, orders please to [email protected] nigerian mistry of justice.yahoo.con
Excellent!!! Can I have one for everyday of the week???? :blob7:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
And while you're at it tell him you'd be interested in some design work on your new pad -I mean if he's working in top resorts in Newcastle he must be good.....

:)
tell him newcastle brown walls and technicolour yawn flooring are what your after...

:D:D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts