Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5th day of our trip to Scotland.

It started with me linking up with my brother at Cambridge last Friday. From there we continued up to Boston on the East coast. From Boston up to Ridsdale, 20 miles under the Scottish border.

The man sitting next to us in the pub that night started mumbling as soon as we mentioned we were going to Scotland. He just kept saying "that's God's country, that is" over and over again.

And having spent 3 days here, I have to admit: he was right! I figure god must've spent 5 days making Scotland, and then just quickly did the rest of the World on the 6th, before taking a rest in the Highlands on the 7th...

This place is amazing. We rode up from Ridsdale along the coast (avoiding Edinburgh), the Forth bridge really is something else! Especially the rail bridge runing next to it: straight out of the industrial revolution!

We went along the coast up to Dunnotar Castle (amazing) and then went inland and stopped at Aboyne for the night. From there we rode along the A939 (one of my all-time favourite roads from now on) to Inverness.

We did the obligatory lap of Loch Ness, and the second part (A862 and A852) was very worthwhile. It makes you understand where the Scottish got their inspiration for the tartans, right out of mother nature. There were patches of purple, green, white, yellow and brown... I could see it on some highlander's quilt as we rode along.

Today we're camping in Durness, our tents are overlooking the surf down below. We stopped for a picture at John 'O Groats and I'll be posting that (and more) when I get home.

We've ridden 1,000 miles sofar, and are not planning on stopping anytime soon!

JB

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Stop by Ullapool and see Vader :D:D
We're catching up with him on Friday :thumbup::thumbup:
Then pop into Inverness and see me. :D:D

Glad you are enjoying the trip.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, we met up with Vader yesterday, had a great ride and a great dinner...

Today's hangover is the stuff legends are made of, mainly due to my brother's urge to sample all the different whiskey's they stock in the bar.

Fortunately it rained today, so we took a day off riding. Which is good because I hate puking in my helmet ;-)

See you tomorrow,

JB

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Big meeting of forum members occurred up in the Highlands today. Myself and Lowflyer met up firstly with LV, Buggles & Buggles brother (sorry, can't remember his name) at Garve. Banter was exchanged (Vader doing what he does bestest - mingling in his own "I'm an invader" type stylie :D :thumbup: :D).
From Garve we headed for Loch Carron where Rickskye was waiting for us. We then consumed coffee and exchanged pleasantries whilst we waited for the arrival of Zenarchy (someone else can tell the story of Zens trip to this point :rolleyes:).

Once Zen had arrived we headed for our first real objective - The Pass of the Cattle to Applecross

Whilst up on the hill, a few decided to tackle the track to the tower - well, it would be rude not too wouldn't it having travelled this far.

As well as Lowflyer being front & center, Buggles junior is on his way down the hill in the background.

We rolled down the other side to a luverly lunch in the Tunnel Garden cafe in Applecross.
We then did the touristy thing and took photo's of the hills with bikes in the forground

An excellent days riding with a like minded group of people. Great to put faces to forum names (apart from LV's, which is a face everyone seems to know - I'm sure Zenarchy bowed when he met LV :D).

Safe riding to all those still out there and touring this great part of Great Britain.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Hey Steve,

As usual, great pics, nice one squirrel. :D:D

Craic was good, weather spot on what more could you ask for ??

WARNING ------LV has just left the building and will probably be at the border check point charlie by now :thumbup::thumbup:

Will they let him back in ????? if not ,then we're all DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED I tell you :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Great photos. Why not make some full-size ones available for the calendar? :thumbright::thumbright:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just read that Vader made it home, so we can all breathe easy now...

We rode across Skye today. Currently we're stuck in Sligachan, checked into a hotel after all HELL broke loose. There is quite the storm raging across this lovely Isle at the moment.

The rain is coming down horizontally at the moment, and we've been blown into oncoming traffic coming through some of the bends. So wew decided to call it a day.

Will do some more of Skye tomorrow!

JB

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Buggles, glad you and your wee Bro are both OK and great meeting up with you both yesterday.

I'll just wait now for the weather that your experiencing to make it's way over to the east coast.

Safe riding guys for the rest of your trip - and if your passing through Moray on your way south, check out the road over the Lecht and then south on the A93 through Braemar and Glen Shee towards Perth. You'll not regret it I promise you (doing them both tomorrow with a bunch of GS riding t*ssers :rolleyes:)

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Buggles, glad you and your wee Bro are both OK and great meeting up with you both yesterday.

I'll just wait now for the weather that your experiencing to make it's way over to the east coast.

Safe riding guys for the rest of your trip - and if your passing through Moray on your way south, check out the road over the Lecht and then south on the A93 through Braemar and Glen Shee towards Perth. You'll not regret it I promise you (doing them both tomorrow with a bunch of GS riding t*ssers :rolleyes:)

Yup ----- wot he said ( apart from the Lecht bit :D:D ) :thumbup::thumbup:
sent you a pm

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rode down from Sligachan to Oban today, in mixed weather conditions...

Road was stunning! We rode down to Fort William, then up the A830 and did a lap around the A861, then took the ferry at Clovullin. Then rode the then we took a B-road around Glencoe, can't remember the name, but had tons of fun!!! Back onto the A82, or was it the A85...?

Anyway, we arrived in Oban and are now sat in a restaurant having some food and a pint... Life ain't so bad ;-)

JB

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
"We rolled down the other side to a luverly lunch in the Tunnel Garden cafe in Applecross."

WHAT !!!

Waited ages for a venison (?) burger and a hot chocholate in a stiflingly hot green house that everyone was rushing to getout of and it cost £10 for the
privilege.

Not recomended at all.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
But a great day out and great weather and great company.( when it all arrived )

The only reason you bow to LV is because you are laughing too much.( That sounds bad, not at him, with him)

I can fill in with a pic outside the hotel in Loch Carron.

Steve, you see it does make it look better with the helmets lined up.:toothy5:

Hang on a min, Ill get this pic up

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think I won the contest for the best 10 second dash picture,
bugger, should have worn my glasses.

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Waited ages for a venison (?) burger and a hot chocholate
Rick,

Stick to what you know works - cuppa and a cake - keep it simple and then move on.

The tunnel beats the inn hands down IMHO due to the fact that it's got space and a "chilled" atmosphere (OK, it was a tad warm, but what do you expect from a poly tunnel???). I could relax in there for hours - - - in fact, in the past I have done exactly that.

Just my ramblings :D

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It was pretty cramped inside, but weren't you there when we had food out side? Has to be sunny with slight breeze, but that was good, wasn't it?
Wonder if they do carryouts?

Joke "cuppa and a cake", Lunch?

Anyhow. going off topic, it was a great day, nice to get so many together....eventually. HeHeHe. Has he got home yet?

Rick

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
nice to get so many together....eventually. HeHeHe. Has he got home yet?
Wot you mean "has he got home yet?" - probably hasn't even found the border yet, let alone home :thumbup:

Write soon Zen, your fan base is growing!

"Zen the Navigator" - a book coming to a store near you real soon . . . if it can find the store that is :D :D :D

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
hahah :D :D

As I said to vader on the day, if columbus had the right directions he'd never have discovered America. If he was navigating with a little AA road book like I was originally, he'd probably have discovered Atlantis and a whole lot of other places on the way there too :D

By some miracle I made it home yesterday morning. Rolled in at around 4am after a 16 to 17 hour day of riding and was absolutely knackered so slept most of yesterday (not all getting lost on the way home I should add :) - completely lost track of time and ended up spending the first 6 hours or so riding around the area around loch ness chatting to the locals and tourists, stopping for photos and dragging the bike by hand around dead end tracks in the rain and mud trying to find my way around and to find some out of the way house and burial ground I wanted to check out). Had a great day though and found some cool places and met some nice people in the process. Most of my journey on the way back looked like this:

Not a good time to find that your lights aren't up to much and you haven't done such a good job of aiming them - and that was one of the nicer bits of road with cats eyes. The unmarked bits with no cats eyes and cars and trucks coming the other way with main beam on in mist and chucking down rain were interesting :shock: Was seriously considering curling up alongside the bike in a layby at one stage as I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it home in the dark in one piece - almost did but for seeming to freak out a lorry driver in the layby and decided to press on (managed to freak another one out on the way back as well it seems but that's another story)

Anyway, had a great time, and it was brilliant to meet up with you all and I had a great time riding with you. It's the first time I've ridden with other people like this and I learned such a lot. So a big thanks to everyone, and for all the help and tips (my riding improved massively over subsequent days as a result). Special thanks to Vader and RickSkye as well for inviting me, putting up with all my texts and for everyone waiting for me to arrive. Well beyond the call of duty, but I'm so glad you did as I had a great time and it was brilliant to meet you all. :thumbup:

I'll post up some photos and a report of what I got up to in another thread as soon as I've got my stuff sorted and caught up with a few emails and made my apologies to clients for being late back.

Hope your trip is still going well Buggles and you and your brother are still enjoying yourselves. Will look forward to seeing some more of your photos when you get back :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts