Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK nice dudes in Scotland, where are the good trails?

We are invading in June and have noticed on the maps stuff like 'The West Highland Way' nr Fort William and some military roads in the same area and also 'The Great Glen Way' nr Loch Ness.

Can you legally ride these, is it a case of 'if the gates is unlocked you can ride it' ? any info greatfully received.

cheers, Bob.

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Sorry, Bo Bo Nae Leg (Fiona told me to type that :D ;) ), but there are no legal "green lanes" or the like up here. The ones you've named are all dedicated walker/cyclist routes, so defo No Go areas for motorised 2 wheelers.

Some of us up here operate on the "open gate" policy without any fuss, but you takes yer chances every time.

When up this way, if still keen to get a bit dirty, myself and a few others will happily get you lost in the hills, where we can :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Sorry, Bo Bo Nae Leg (Fiona told me to type that :D ;) ), but there are no legal "green lanes" or the like up here. The ones you've named are all dedicated walker/cyclist routes, so defo No Go areas for motorised 2 wheelers.

Some of us up here operate on the "open gate" policy without any fuss, but you takes yer chances every time.

When up this way, if still keen to get a bit dirty, myself and a few others will happily get you lost in the hills, where we can :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:
There are a couple of legal trails here in the lowlands. One of them I did without too much problem on the GSA but I had to give up and turn round on the other as the ruts were so deep I was grounding out the cylinder heads. I don't suppose either would present any problem on the XR400 though.

Generally down here I don't have any problems as long as you stay away from the areas frequented by the kids on the pit bikes. Stay away from sheep when lambing (now) and the grouse beats later in the year and generally you will be fine. I always stop and speak to the shepherds and ghillies and more often than not they don't mind as long as you leave things as you find them and sometimes they have even offered me some new routes.

If you really want to rough it I just head into some forestry and see what happens....

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
As Steve says let us know Bo Bo and we will see:toothy1:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Not sure of the actual route as barftone is in charge of that department but we should be arriving in Scotland on Saturday 16.06.12 and heading up the west coast as far as we can get within our time limit then across to Inverness and then head back home. We have to be back on Sunday 24.06.12 so I guess we'll be leaving Scotland on Friday 22.06.12???

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Steve, Ray etc

what about the Corrieyairack Pass on Wades old military road? can you still ride that?

cheers, Bob.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Hello Bob, may be worth finding out who owns the larger estates where ever you are heading and making a few calls to see if you can ride on private land. I believe Austin did this for an ABR trip he is planning later this year. May be worth a go.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did the Mamore Road (well thats what my dad called it) with me on my 700, my dad on his R80GS and his mate on a C90. On the map its the track from Kinlochleven to Fort William and is the last stage of one of the long distance walks. Got only waves and smiles from the walkers. Gates either end but no locks obviously. It was the weekend of the Pre 65 Scottish though. A good track but a little difficult for my 700 in places. My dad and his mate 'cleaned' it but I'm afraid I had to some 'footing' at times!

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the Mamore Road (well thats what my dad called it) with me on my 700, my dad on his R80GS and his mate on a C90. On the map its the track from Kinlochleven to Fort William and is the last stage of one of the long distance walks. Got only waves and smiles from the walkers. Gates either end but no locks obviously. It was the weekend of the Pre 65 Scottish though. A good track but a little difficult for my 700 in places. My dad and his mate 'cleaned' it but I'm afraid I had to some 'footing' at times!
Cheers, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I just follow Steve Craig and John :)

hopefully may be able to get a pass :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts