Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any reason i should not route my Scottoiler feed to the front instead of the rear sprocket?
just thinking this would be a much neater way to do it so please tell me its ok!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It has that advantage of tidyness but, unless you route it onto the sprocket, rather than the chain, you'll drip oil onto the outside of the chain.

As the chain goes round it'll just fling the oil stright off, and it won't ever reach the inside face of the chain.

If it drips onto the sprocket, that same force will fling the oil through the chain and give much better lubrication.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive seen it done but it makes a lot more mess than the normal way

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think i will try it as the tube was blocked at the back wheel and the wheel was getting covered in oil when it did work. also i broke the pipe work taking it off! thats the main reason i want to do it now.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
When mounting at the rear, make sure that the tapered opening is facing away from the sprocket. It looks neater if it is against the sprocket surface, but that will block it quickly.

Otherwise see if you can locate it so that it drips from underneath the swing arm, near the swingarm axle...

There is no point in having a scottoiler if it does not lubricate the chain, and having it feed onto the outside of the chain makes that more likely...

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a Pro-oiler (similar effect it oils the chain)
But i have it mounted so that it drips onto the top of the rear sprocket, keeping the swinging arm clear for my padock stand.
Just thought i'd mention this incase you hadn't thought of mounting it, in this position.

Big Dave :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
mmm, been here before as per the link to Phils page.

Thing is, I had the thing mounted nice and tidy dripping onto the inside of the chain at the front and it went all over the cat, swinarm, shock and possibly rear wheel so mounted it on the rear as per manu instructions (also after a chat with the manu at a show).

However, im gettin fairly peeved with cleaning the number plate, wheel rim, under cowl, panniers and inner chain guard.

Is it working better?

Debatable as the dealer was adjusting the chain every servce for me before and this time round its been me. Hence, first C&S was 17k, second was 10k. I do think its more my c##p adjusting. So no proof it was due to the move of the oiler location at the same time as chain change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts