Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my build to throw into the pot. Are there any original dominators left?! :p

Wanted to go down the scrambler route rather than the street tracker look, as wanted it to be able to cope with some off roading. Have therefore made up a tray in the subframe which will house most of the electronics, a slimline battery and most importantly an air filter to keep out mud and dust. Will also be keeping the standard wheels, sump guard and high exhausts. So this is where I am at the moment.... First bike build so sure there will be many questions to come!

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

IMG_5616.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents, will try and update with pics as often as possible.

A couple of wiring questions. How hot will the rectifier get? Does it need airflow over the fins or can it be tucked away under the seat too? Also with these dominator builds, are people completely rewiring the bike or just shoehorning the existing loom into nooks and crannies?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MOT question.... I am planning on having just a headlight, high and low beam and a rear brake light. Plus a horn. Will that be enough to get through an MOT? Or do you require indicators as well?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think anything built after 1987 is supposed to have indicators fitted. The exception is single seater offroader.
However lots of one offs are being built so might be possible. I would like to know too as am building a rally bike without indicators and need MOT.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
I dont have indicators fitted to both my scrambler and DR350 and never had a problem getting an mot ,
I was told by the tester if the bike is only for solo use indicators aren't required, so remove your pillion footrests and you should be ok.

nice start to your project by the way, nice to see some original thinking

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have indicators fitted to both my scrambler and DR350 and never had a problem getting an mot ,
I was told by the tester if the bike is only for solo use indicators aren't required, so remove your pillion footrests and you should be ok.

Footrests already gone, so hopefully all will be well. Wasn't sure if they would go on original spec of the bike or what they have in front of them.

And thanks, looking forward to getting stuck in some more, it's not going to be a quick build but will post updates and photos as I go.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Interestingly on my last MOT the inspector told me he should have failed it but let me off, due to having a double seat but no rear foot rests.

Now my seat was at the time was a shortened NX seat, and I'm quite a big lad so I jumped on and invited him to hop on the back. "there's not enough room" he said, "Well that make it a single seat then doesn't it" said I.

A MOT guy's opinion is like an arsehole, everyone's got one and they normally stink. :grin:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm an MOT tester. I'm happy to answer questions.

If you have an obvious passenger seat then yes you need foot pegs. Anything that makes the pillion seat unusable like a cover etc will negate the need for pegs.

Indicators are required on everything after 87 unless it's deemed as an offroad bike.

An offroad bike doesn't mean it was born that way. But it's classified that way in the guidelines by knobbly tyres, high suspension etc. Basically, it just needs to look like one.

You don't need indicators, headlight or even a stop lamp (brake light) etc if you want a 'Daylight MOT'. But all lights need to be masked or removed. If they are not masked off or removed then they are testable and therefore failable.

A daylight MOST doesn't actually exist. You just get a normal certificate with the lights missing as an advisory.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mototed, that's great info. Looking at my seat for this build, would you class that as a single seater if you were putting it through a test?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks Mototed, that's great info. Looking at my seat for this build, would you class that as a single seater if you were putting it through a test?
As long as there is no hand strap, rails then it should easily pass as a single.. I would happily class it as a single. And do not ever feel that you can not question or argue a testers decision. Ask before he tests it if he classes it as a single seat or not.

If they just say "we'll have to test it and see" just go somewhere else which isn't staffed by arseholes.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'm an MOT tester. I'm happy to answer questions.

If you have an obvious passenger seat then yes you need foot pegs. Anything that makes the pillion seat unusable like a cover etc will negate the need for pegs.

Indicators are required on everything after 87 unless it's deemed as an offroad bike.

An offroad bike doesn't mean it was born that way. But it's classified that way in the guidelines by knobbly tyres, high suspension etc. Basically, it just needs to look like one.

You don't need indicators, headlight or even a stop lamp (brake light) etc if you want a 'Daylight MOT'. But all lights need to be masked or removed. If they are not masked off or removed then they are testable and therefore failable.

A daylight MOST doesn't actually exist. You just get a normal certificate with the lights missing as an advisory.
My younger brother managed to get one of those daytime MOT things for his bike and as Mototed said, some of the testers wouldnt know their arse from their elbow but my brother found one who could and got it sorted.He has been stopped by the bizzies a few times who are also thick as two should planks when it comes to these regulations.
47248_10151090439209005_2141175141_n.jpg

1976 Husqvarna like Steve Mc Queen became champion on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FullSizeRender.jpg

Haven't had a chance to do much on the bike but have ordered a few bits. The silicone hose fits a treat, just need to trim it down to connect to the frame. Then found a nice small control switch from an early fazer 600 which will cover starter, kill switch, lights high and low beam, just need to tidy up the wiring. Then will just have a little horn button for the left hand side.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Where did you source the silicon hose ? I'm going to level a dommie subframe but keep the airbox so I need to make a new manifold.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts