Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With impeccable timing (I had taken the crash bars off so as to easily drop the sump guard) some **** returning from the pub pushed my bike over last night. Tank hits the curb with predictable effect, various scrapes, some back to bare metal, dents and associated crazed paint.

I'm thinking that rather than try to paint it I want to just try to protect the damaged areas from corrosion so was wondering if something like clear lacquer would stick to the bare metal and afford some protection? Any thoughts appreciated, apart from ones reminding me about the usefullness of crash bars please!

David

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Depending on what colour your bike is, you have a few options.

Hammerite will protect it from immediate corrosion.

Halfords will mix up a touch up paint in a spraycan if you give them your paint code.

Nip down to your local model shop and get a small tin of enamel paint that closely matches your colour, or two tins and do your own mixing!

Or just leave it, take the bike off-road more, and the scrathces and dents will soon disappear into the background of all the new scratches and dents!!

:thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Or just leave it, take the bike off-road more, and the scrathces and dents will soon disappear into the background of all the new scratches and dents!!

:thumbup:

or......

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
No idea on protecting initially but once done buy a tank protector? This will cover up whatever it looks like when you are done and will offer protection in the future.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dropped mine twice off road and got some nice scrapes and dents in the plastics. Fitted crash bars and in the 2 years since not dropped it once, all scrapes left as it looks like its been used propeerky now and its an excuse not to sort the rest (she's not exactly in showroom condition like some).

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dropped mine twice off road and got some nice scrapes and dents in the plastics. Fitted crash bars and in the 2 years since not dropped it once, all scrapes left as it looks like its been used propeerky now and its an excuse not to sort the rest (she's not exactly in showroom condition like some).
That's kinda what I'm thinking, just wondering if I can slow the rusting of the bare/scratched bits without trying to re-paint which is often almost as obvious.

Guess, it will just add the the patina of age and use but sadly not due to some exploits crossing a desert rather a curb in South Wales!

Will try a clear touch up pen thingy.

Cheers

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea on protecting initially but once done buy a tank protector? This will cover up whatever it looks like when you are done and will offer protection in the future.
Not sure if I can get a tank protector (I'm assuming you mean the vinyl things which cover the tank) to suit an RD03. I think the Marathon bikes had a grp panel which covered the exposed sides of the tank, which looked a good idea but would need doing properly.... so probably won't happen!

Perhaps I'll swap it for a Marathon then I'd already have tank guards, just need to find one on eBay for £1500!

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts