Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's taken me a while to arrive at this point.
The very short version is:
Std screen.
MRA screen
Honda tall screen
All three cut down in different ways, with the MRA foil attached either side, either way up.
I had an MRA on my GS and it was great, but it was fitted to the Transalp when I got it and I didn't find it that effective.
I changed my helmet and that improved things tremendously.
Finally, I got a Powerbronze high screen, which kinks differently to the Honda one; still not right.
I attached the MRA foil the right way up; no good.
I then attached the MRA foil the wrong way up; Aargh:D
I wear a flip up and I'm 5' 10". with the helmet flipped up, I still get a lot of wind rush, but:D:D:D with the helmet down and the visor up or down, Aargh:D:D:D
Bear in mind, this is personal and others may not find it as effective, but this is the fourth screen tried, in different lengths, shapes etc, I am now very content; Aargh.......

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Only an observation, but that's going to act like a parachute or a reversed spoiler and put a lot of pressure on the four mounting well nuts and the top of the fairing plastic. Have you ridden at speed for a long duration yet?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I figure it is working because it causes a higher wind speed over the top edge of the screen, but as mentioned above, at the cost of a lot of drag.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Having found my expensive helmet is vastly noisier on the Alp than a cheapie I was lent, I'd be interested to know what your before and after helmets were.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did worry about the nuts, hoping that the pressure differential was not too great due to both sides having exposure to the wind; I am aware of lift. If they do show signs of breaking, I will replace brackets with nuts, bolts and spacers; I have ridden at 70ish for a while on more than one occasion
Re helmet, I had a Shoei Syncrotec for years; it became like comfy slippers in the end, but started to fall to bits.
When I changed to a Caberg Justisstimo, the noise dropped massively.
BUT..... Whilst I have the quietest ride so far, I do stress it is not perfect, but certainly I'm not changing it.
For example, if I ride with helmet down, but visor up, I now tilt my eyes down to look at the clocks rather than my head. If I tilt my head, I get a lot of wind rush. But, as mentioned above, it's the best it's been and I'm sticking with it:D
I think the height of the rider makes a big difference, as I often hear that guys over six feet have no problems.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using my Caberg on my 850GS, gone now, it was noisy. But for some reason with the Transalp, it is a lot quieter.
I bought a Schuberth for £99 in the sale at a BM garage, that is very quiet, but it is full face, so I use it vary rarely.

The fact appears to be, that it is very personal and the noise varies with style of jacket, helmet, fairing from person to person.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts

Here's a screen I made for the 1st TLD, the mounting snapped at high speed and almost decapitated me But, I could light a fag at 70+ behind it and I did hundreds of miles with my justissimo (which I found to be the noisiest helmet I have ever worn) up and never felt any wind,in fact I had to stand up to get some air to cool me down. Ugly basterd thing though but almost the perfect screen with a bit of modification. The air directed in the centre reduced the vortex behind it and therefore the pressure equalised and the flips at each side and the top sent the air round my arms.
The gaffer tape held firm for about 700 miles but looked ****e so it went in the scrap as soon as I got back.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Okay, it's taken me a while to arrive at this point.
The very short version is:
Std screen.
MRA screen
Honda tall screen
All three cut down in different ways, with the MRA foil attached either side, either way up.
I had an MRA on my GS and it was great, but it was fitted to the Transalp when I got it and I didn't find it that effective.
Finally, I got a Powerbronze high screen, which kinks differently to the Honda one; still not right.
I attached the MRA foil the right way up; no good.
I then attached the MRA foil the wrong way up; Aargh:D
I wear a flip up and I'm 5' 10". with the helmet flipped up, I still get a lot of wind rush, but:D:D:D with the helmet down and the visor up or down, Aargh:D:D:D
Bear in mind, this is personal and others may not find it as effective, but this is the fourth screen tried, in different lengths, shapes etc, I am now very content; Aargh.......
Just think about all that reduced fuel economy through the drag :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have similar issues trying to find a good screen for my @ and I have to agree about the Justissimo. It is the noisiest helmet I've ever owned, and the buffeting blurs my vision slightly while riding and leaves me a bit disorientated after a long run. Suggestions for a good replacement welcome, I've tried the Schuberth but the neck strap chokes me. So its currently a choice of deaf or asphyxiated.

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
I have similar issues trying to find a good screen for my @ and I have to agree about the Justissimo. It is the noisiest helmet I've ever owned, and the buffeting blurs my vision slightly while riding and leaves me a bit disorientated after a long run. Suggestions for a good replacement welcome, I've tried the Schuberth but the neck strap chokes me. So its currently a choice of deaf or asphyxiated.

maybe a multitec , I swopped from a justisimo , and its a dream to wear .

but everyones different so try out, i was wandering around the showroom for half an hour to make sure it was a good fit,

d clasp , no internal sun visor ,,, but very comfy . 2 visors: clear and smoked , pinlock clear supplied , and chin deflector and whisper kit included. ..

:thumbright:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I tried Shuberth, Caberg and a couple of others before i too bought the best lid i have had..........a Multitec, wow its comfy and fits like a glove. I also have an HJC HQ1 Lordship full face carbon one wich is brilliant as well.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have bought a Bell helmet, I have tried other helmets but hankering after the feel of a light comfortable and quiet helmet I have always found Bell to be good at the quiet helmets and the new materials should make it comfortable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm on my second multitec after an off last year. I've never found them to be quiet helmets an any bike, (apart from when brand new in the "honeymoon" period), but they win on comfort and I wear glasses so the flip is a big help. Tried a number of different lids including a Schuberth as I liked the Judge Dredd visor idea but the Shoei was the best fit which is the most important thing. My 700 has the standard screen, I'm 5' 10" and don't really have any problem with buffeting, certainly no worse than my previous bikes. Any wind noise is dealt with using ear plugs.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As mentioned before, it's very personal.
When I got my Caberg, I tried it on my GS; much noisier than my Shoei, so I put it back on my shelf and carried on with my Shoei. But, when I tried it on the Transalp, it was a lot quieter! Go figure..
It also depends on many factors. I noticed with different screen configurations, if I stretched my neck, it was quieter; uncomfortable though:rolleyes:
So, you'd think that if I stretch my neck by two inches, lowering the screen by two inches would have the same effect; Hah, no way.
Ooh, wait a minute, if I wear my leather jacket, it's noisier than my normal jacket. Ooh, must be wind flow, quick John stretch your neck, ooh, no good with the leather jacket.
Do you get the picture! Now you know why I'm not playing with my screen anymore, I don't want to end up in broadmore:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts