Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After modifying my Vara screen & being quite impressed, the Transalp feels plain draughty & noisey.
I reckon the way forward is multi layered & high.

Modified MRA on the Vara (the MRA was rubbish as stock).

I've been looking at a suitable donor screen for the Alp for some time, only when I recently rest rode a dl650 did I think 'that'll do'' :)

Mk1 version grafted onto the stock Alp screen:

Riders view

Side view

Even the front profile matches that of the original!

It's currently on adjustable bolts & locknuts so I can adjust, with rubber washers to prevent cracking.

Not sure when I'll get chance to try it but will report back in due course ;)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I brought a Honda high screen off AlanH and found it suited as did the Honda high fitted to my PC800, I must be the correct 'Honda high' height.
But adjustables are probably the way to go as screens are a very variable thing dependent on riders position and what tradeoff is acceptable between noise and visibility.
A gap between screen and bodywork (or main screen) appears to reduce noise as it reduces the low pressure pocket behind the screen &/or maintains a more laminar flow which is quieter.
Lifting the screen off the fairing on a Vara made a big improvement and holes cut in the lower part of the screen on a Pan also work well.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Agree about letting air through, I found the Honda high/touring screen dreadful - it felt like someone was grabbing my head & pushing it side to side at 50-60!
Subjective indeed :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
You'll be surprised how much pressure the wind will put on those bolts.

I admire all the development work that goes on improving things, but Iv'e always thought about how much stress the original Honda mountings will take. Iv'e got the Givi touring screen on mine, been out over high ground in winds a couple of times and thought the screen might get ripped from the plastic -------- still all sound though.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Yeh, I had so many variations on my Trannie, I remember trying to adjust it at speed, ahem, the pressure was amazing. But, like you said, it holds.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Phil

Minkyhead (Steve ABR) has a KLR650 with a screen of similar size and rake to the TA. He has a flip MRA trype screen on top of another MRA type screen on top of the stock screen

This has worked for him for many years. Similar height to you Phil and he always rides with an open face helmet. The bike gets used extensively off road too so the set up is robust

Worth a try / thought

If I can find a pic I'll post it but try google Minkyhead KLR650 (just tried this and loads of pics come up)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hear's a good pic of the angles and height

KLR Minky.jpg

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for that Paul - looks similar to what I'm trying to achieve.
Ironically, the bit I cut off the bottom, fits perfectly as an extender on the top!
Be prepared to be amazed at more bodgery :)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Doesn't look the same without a tea tray though Phil!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I ran an R1200GS screen on my last 650. Partly because I'd previously owned a 1200GS and found the screen good (not always a guarantee that it'll work on a different bike) but mainly because I had a spare one left in the garage so it didn't cost me anything.... I cut the 'returns' off it (the mounting areas) and, from memory, bolted it to the original screen with spacers like PUSD did with the MRA. Although not spaced as far away. I found it very effective - improved protection and smooth airflow without looking too much like a home-made bodge.

Not sure that I've got any photos but I'll have a look tonight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts