Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you apple crunching Somerset boys.( Bob, right up your street this one ) :D

I bought half a gallon of still scrunpy from this lot when I was down that way on hols about 5 years ago.

Torre Cider Farm near Minehead in Somerset. All the apples are grown in our orchards or come from old cider orchards in the area. Bought some for my sons and then hid my one in the garage to prevent them pilfering it. Guess what ? found it today. :thumbright:

Question is -- will it be ok to drink ?
The seal hasn't been broken, it's been kept in a plastic container in a cool environment, but it does look a little gooey ( must be all them apple bits )

Oh, it's called " sheep stagger scrumpy " -- fekin tourists eh ? buy any old sh1te :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am known to partake of the odd cider.
5 years? I reckon it would best be tipped, then again it might have survived. if the container is airtight it could be ok.
Open it, have a sniff if it stinks of vinegar definitely off.
From the name it is probably not much cop anyway.
I would say a bit risky, it can do hilarious things to other people's guts. Not so funny when it your own bowels.
I would probably sling it.
This is the place for cider Home
Great mates of mine, wonderful cider, fantastic campsite. In fact after my hols I will try to organise a meet up with orchard camping and a proper cider tasting.
I am off to rehydrate their right now, I will ask about the five year old vintage.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
As long as its been kept in a cool dark place drink it .
Got some stored must be about 6 years old now ,last time we opened a 5 year old one it was drank so fast because it was sooooo good , hardly got a lookin :rolleyes:

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Roger Wilkins is highly recommended , the only problem is he does not seem to know the strength of his own cider, cos i am sure the labels are printed with the strength on but it is is always a lot stronger than it says, Never been there but some Neighbours go regularly
Wilkins Cider - the home of Somerset cider

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Open the lid and take a whiff, if it smells drinkable give it a go.
Worse case scenario is its smells like vineger and then you can sprinkle it on your chips or it could be good and get you off your face.:thumbup:
Or get the screamin wild shi-ites and die of food poisining:blob3:

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Should be nothing wrong with it, particularly if it is strong. It's scrumpy, having enough of it will probably have an unfortunate effect on your digestive system anyway.

If it's off, you'll know, If it smells and tastes find, it's perfectly OK to drink.

You can always finish off with a couple of whiskies just to sterilise you internally......................that should sort out any potential problems :bom:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Like others have said, if it smells like vinegar then use it for cooking, otherwise try a bit and see what you think.

I'm with Mervin on the Roger Wilkins farmhouse cider, top stuff :thumbleft:

I'm also quite partial to Henry Westons ciders, Stowford Press on draught and the Henry Westons vintage in bottles (8.2%) :teeth:

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
yes Stowford press is good , mind you I have a problem with gout, and my foot is aching just thinking about booze tonight , so i have not sampled much lately

·
Registered
969 Posts
Stowfords Press is not a proper cider. Recycled fizzy stuff, I can explain.
Westons Vintage, not to my taste but a proper cider and not for public consumption. At 8.7%BV a discombobulator, a bit sweet but i have been known to nip to Spar in the evening for it.
Mike the Cider's stuff is two miles away and infinetly better.
I have to book a weekend cider event.

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
My old uncle near Kingsbridge used to brew his own cider, that stuff was evil, talk about blow your socks off, it should have had a skull and crossbones on the barrel, sadly he is no longer with us, but i did enjoy his efforts, mind you his growing his own tobbaco never seemed very succesful though

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for replies guys, going to give it a pop once I get over this man flu.
As Annette says, if it ain't good, I'll just swish it down with the famous grouse :D:D

I'm not really bothered to be honest, just wanted to know. I am heading off to Somerset shortly for a week with the strange one. I'll use all your recommendations for locating " proper cider " :thumbup:

Cheers

·
Registered
969 Posts
Locating proper cider?
The thing to look out for used to a hand painted sign, usually using red paint and hanging crookedly on the post.
I always make a detour when I see this kind of thing. I even saw one in Spain years ago, ruined my day but was well worth the effort.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Stowfords Press is not a proper cider. Recycled fizzy stuff, I can explain.
Westons Vintage, not to my taste but a proper cider and not for public consumption. At 8.7%BV a discombobulator, a bit sweet but i have been known to nip to Spar in the evening for it.
Mike the Cider's stuff is two miles away and infinetly better.
I have to book a weekend cider event.
No offence but borrocks, Stowford is a damned good draught cider. We have plenty of 'proper' ciders around here but just coz it's got a few bubbles in it doesn't mean it's not real just 'different' to the old school stuff ;)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Thanks for replies guys, going to give it a pop once I get over this man flu.
As Annette says, if it ain't good, I'll just swish it down with the famous grouse :D:D

I'm not really bothered to be honest, just wanted to know. I am heading off to Somerset shortly for a week with the strange one. I'll use all your recommendations for locating " proper cider " :thumbup:

Cheers
Let me know when you're coming and i'll lead you to the good stuff :toothy10:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Any chance any of you guys could bring a couple of gallons to Denmark?:eek:ccasion5:
I havnt tasted real scrumpy in donkeys years.:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts