Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word of warning as I don't know if this has made the UK news yet, but don't book with Seafrance for the moment, they're in recievership.

As a subsiduary (filial) of SNCF they were gouvernement subsidised ( a probably overstaffed & inefficient), Bruxelles central (european comission) rejected the french gouvernements restructuration plan as contravening euro monopoly regulations so they now have 3 choices as far as I can make out. Ether they get bought out by a conglomeration of some danish ferry company (DFDS) & an arms maker (Dreyfuss), they get taken over by the employees & their union or they get a latter through the post next month with a cheque for 0€ stapled to the french equivalent of a UB40. There are 880 jobs involved & the Paris industrial tribunal (Tribunal de Commerce) have postponed a decision untill the 16th Nov.

I hope they come out ok cos compettition can only be a good thing & they always had the best food... :thumbup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with the need for competition, I use Brittany ferries, a lot, and although i am very happy with them, it would be good if they had better deals to get the price down.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
So Brittany Ferries never took over then? not having been out lately i have lost contact, but a couple of years ago talking with some of the staff in Roscoff brittany had just about taken over sea france, As you say Moon the french ferries always eem to have better grub , never used Sea france , but brittany ferries is good for grub
and if DFDS get em as you say it is reducing the competition , cos they already have Norfolk line

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Oh and slightly, ever so, off topic.
I was walking past reception coming back from Santander to Portsmouth last month to hear an argument which really made me think about my next booking.
A couple had booked a four berth for the two of them; having paid for it.
When they got to their cabin, a Scottish lorry driver was there.
He and the man were at the desk. The lorry driver was more than happy to sleep in his truck, of course they wouldn't let him.
But the crux is that the staff member said it was in the terms. If the ship is full, then they can put someone in a four berth which only has two people in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can tell you, with my wife and bike gear, I would want another person turning up. Sod the bike gear, I'd be bloody livid.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was walking past reception coming back from Santander to Portsmouth last month to hear an argument which really made me think about my next booking.
He and the man were at the desk. The lorry driver was more than happy to sleep in his truck, of course they wouldn't let him.
But the crux is that the staff member said it was in the terms. If the ship is full, then they can put someone in a four berth which only has two people in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can tell you, with my wife and bike gear, I would want another person turning up. Sod the bike gear, I'd be bloody livid.
The 'Cap Finisterre' was designed for the Greek islands, where lorry drivers can sleep in their cabs, so the ship is always limited by accommodation on its new UK/Spain run, not lane meters of vehicles. I remember sharing on a SeaLink ferry on the Harwich/Hoek passage many many years ago, but I always thought it was because it was cheaper (I was only a kid so don't remember).

It would be better if they gave people the choice to share for a discounted rate, it would suit some people.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 'Cap Finisterre' was designed for the Greek islands
You're not kidding! Some of the eating arangements are still designed for the Greek islands, al-fresco dining is not as appealing in the Bay of Biscay!!

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Bloody cheek putting smelly Grockles in with a lorry driver :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
533 Posts
You're not kidding! Some of the eating arangements are still designed for the Greek islands, al-fresco dining is not as appealing in the Bay of Biscay!!
You didn't fancy a dip in the pool either then?

I'm on it on Saturday night coming back from Spain, think I'll stick to the cheesy music in he bar :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts