Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in seats ?
I've just put all new plastics and tank on my 89 dommie and the seat (off the 89) is slightly different doesn't appear to come up the tank enough ?
what year did they change ?

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Depends. If you got the tank and fairings off a '91+ model then yes, maybe. Most likely you didn't seat the fuel tank correctly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply switch , the tank is seated correctly ,
i'm not sure what year bike the tank and plastics came off ,

What do you think ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just found the orginal message that the guy who sold me the tank etc , he said its off a 91/92 bike , so it looks like I need the later seat :thumbright:

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
I've just found the orginal message that the guy who sold me the tank etc , he said its off a 91/92 bike , so it looks like I need the later seat :thumbright:
Hold it right there.

Dommie generations:
1st gen - 88-91
2nd gen - 92-95
3rd gen - 95-03

Your bike is wierd if you claim is an 89 model. Fuel tank and fairing suggests a 2nd or 3rd generation model. Defenetly not earlier. Fuel tank is defenetly NOT 1st gen model (it has a silver, buried fuel tap). Side fairings from rear suggests 2nd gen model. Front fairing (and the fact that it fits) rules out 1st or 3rd generation models.

Sidenote: fairings are not compatible between generations, except for 3rd gen 95 models and 2nd gen bikes. Might work if you swap the front instrument mounts, though...

All this suggests your bike is a 92-94 model or 2nd generation. Is the seat from an earlier or later model?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you have misunderstood , the bike is a 89 (G reg), I have taken off all the 89 stuff , tank , side planks , fairing and replace them with 91/92 items.
The side planks have been cut down at the back to fit around the rack brackets.
The seat is the original 89 one , that doesn't fit the profile of the newer tank.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Oh, then that explains it. :) The seat is designed for the other set of fairings. You could get away with a little modification of the current seat, if you know a guy experienced with such mods. I know one, but he's about 3000 miles away from you, most likely.

Tell me, did you also replace the front fairing mount (the tubular black frame supporting the instruments panel and headlight) and headlight?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'Tell me, did you also replace the front fairing mount (the tubular black frame supporting the instruments panel and headlight) and headlight?'

Nope , as for modding the seat , I can't see how you would go about it , its a few inch's short around the tank area and of a completely different shape ,
I'll just get a 91/92 seat :thumbright:
Thanks for your input switch , very helpful :thumbleft:
is the 2nd gen seat the same as the 3rd gen ?

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
That I'm unsure. If it was summer I could check for ya, but around here everyone's bikes are garaged for winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts