Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seat 1997, RD07 is getting very tired and is splitting along the seams.
I have a few options, buy a secondhand seat. Probably worn.
Get mine recovered. A local upholsterer has offered to do it in vinyl for 'about £60.00'
Buy a cover I have seen these on fleabay in leather BLACK & GREY CUSTOM HONDA XRV 750 AFRICA TWIN 96-03 DUAL LEATHER SEAT COVER | eBay
and these in vinyl Honda Africa Twin XRV 750 RD07 SEAT COVER | eBay
I cant afford a new proprietary branded seat, and would like to keep the nonslip finish, slipping onto the old plums when braking is not funny.
Anybody got any thoughts or other reccomendations? or got anything for sale that would do the job?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Do it yourself mate, its not that difficult if you have the correct tools at hand.
A good quality staple gun for stapling, an office one is fine but compressed air is better..
The wifes (or your own) hair dryer to warm the fabric when stretching it..
Screwdriver for removing staples and a magnet to keep removed staples in the same place.
Pointy pliers to pull staples out.
It takes about an hour to remove all the staples ,just bung each staple on your magnet so they dont end up all over the place.
About an hour to put the new cover on.

Heres my Dommie seat I did myself, its a very satisfying feeling doing it your self, not bad for a first attempt. :thumbup:

bikepics-2623402-full.jpg

Have fun.......:blob7::blob8:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I bought one of those covers from Wemoto, doesn't have the non slip but I can live with it. I got a local upholsterer to fit it and patch in a bit of foam, comfiest @T seats I've had!

Reactions: chunkolini

·
Registered
388 Posts
If I had to I'd choose the vinyl over the leather any day..if your out and about in all weathers and all terrain the vinyl would be waterproof and easier to clean.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've just removed the cover from an RD07a seat because I'm having it remodelled & recovered. There are no splits or cuts and you can have it if you want to come and get it

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
google gel pads for motorcycle seats cost £ 20 or so someone in uk sells them a lot of people swear by them . I will be getting my own seat done soon im going to get the shape altered to make it kinda like a corbin but exactly how I want it to be ,offering the most comfort for me and my 9 year old lad . I will also get a back rest pad made to bolt on to the top box for him in black and the seat covered in blue vinal as it is now cos black would take the look off the bike I think .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've just removed the cover from an RD07a seat because I'm having it remodelled & recovered. There are no splits or cuts and you can have it if you want to come and get it
If Chunko doesn't want the cover could I take it off your hands please? Mine has been recovered but I really don't get on with the colour of it.

Chris

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Get a local upholster to do it. I had my Vara's seat remodelled to suit me and a new seat cover made up for £70. Don't waste money on gel pads ( i took the advice of the chap that did mine) he said gel pads rarely give the service or comfort you expect, he siad you get far beeter results alot cheaper by using different density foams in different parts of the seat.

saw the guy that did it last week as i bought some material off him for my boys landrover seat. He asked how i was getting on with the seats he'd done for me and all i can say is perfection.

£70 bit different from the £400 bagster wanted to do the same thing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Jammytask is after my used seat cover, but as I offered it to Chunkolini first I feel it only fair for him to accept or decline my offer. Could you please let me know as I'd like to move it on before Christmas.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the offer, but I would like shiny and new.
And thanks for holding on on my behalf.
Plenty of thoughts, obviously there are several options; I have to make a decision.
Problem now is my local guy says he can do it but needs a week, I have to plan a week of reasonable weather that is too windy for paragliding.
Has anybody i=eithin reach of Ross on wye got a spare seat I could hire/borrow/make a charitable donation for.?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
get the cheap one. You're good with your hands, like as said... with a decent stapler, shouldn't be a prob for you. Sometimes just tack it to help you along.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have a seat for an RD04 you can borrow if you still need one. It's an original (hard-ass) version. I'm in Malvern -might have this Weds off work (stc) so if this might work for you send me a pm and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
After confirming that Chunkolini didn't want the seat cover I collected it last night. Just like to publicly say thanks to peterpan241 for the seat cover :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I will be teaching my son how to do his moped seat and my flat tracker project bike seat at the weekend, I will post some before and after pics when we are done.
We bought a square metre of pvc that my son found on ebay for about £15 plus postage.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have decided to wait a while maybe even next winter to do mine the gaffer tape patch will do im going to get engine bars and running lights first put the money into them the seat will do for now . a seat cover wont protect my fareing and rads or help me see in the dark . :thumbright:

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I had to I'd choose the vinyl over the leather any day..if your out and about in all weathers and all terrain the vinyl would be waterproof and easier to clean.
Has anyone bought a leather cover for their seat as I was going to get one.

Any feedback on practicality?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts