Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taken my carb off tonight to put some new jets in, and do the other carb mods as described here http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

when taking the carb off

there is a brass (what looks like a temp sensor) screwed into the carb body at the bottom

runs to a plug in the loom near the battery

anyone know what its for ?? :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found it

its a heater plug

saw it in an exploded diagram, on a spares website

that explains the "heater" fuse in the fusebox, that no one seemed to know what it was for, when I asked on here 6 months ago LOL

·
Registered
140 Posts
found it

its a heater plug

saw it in an exploded diagram, on a spares website

that explains the "heater" fuse in the fusebox, that no one seemed to know what it was for, when I asked on here 6 months ago LOL
a heater plug in a carb ...thats a new one on me ....

at the risk of sounding really stupid...how does this aid the bike ?
:blob5:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming it aids tickover/reducing stalling particularly in winter, by heating the carb to prevent damp air freezing in the inlets

it is right Under the idle jets at the front of the carb

I know a bit about this sort of thing as I dabble with old VW bugs and have done for many years, and those cars are buggers for carbs icing in winter because they are aircooled and the inlet manifold is a million miles away from the cylinder heads so no heat can get to the carb, hence the pre-heat pipes in the inlet manifold from the exhaust headers fitted seperately.

you can even buy heater jackets to wrap round the carb inlet

I assume as the dommie has a nice insulted rubber mounting to the cylinder head, likewise not much heat can get to the carb

as far as I can tell this mod is only on the later dommies, mine is an 1999 RD08, i cant see it in the manuals for earlier bikes

I assume this was added by honda to help with stalling problem in winter

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
quite common.. my bandit had carb heaters
stops them icing up in cold weather...
guess the V twins dont need them as the carbs are in a nice hot spot under the tank and between the pots.. not hanging in the breeze like on the singles and in-line-fours :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts