Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started my belts and shims service on the Elefant (every two years regardless of mileage) which involves fitting new timing belts and checking valve clearances along with all the usual stuff. So for anyone that has considered buying an Elefant - this is what to expect. A few photos showing what you have to remove in order to get to the vertical cylinder exhaust valve. enjoy.....

Elefant service 3 (Large).jpg Elefant  service 2 (Large).jpg Elefant service 1 (Large).jpg

PS. Italia Moto in Lincoln were excellent again for parts, everything in stock and 10% discount off the cam belts and Silkolene Pro 4 15w/50 oil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's 12,000 miles or two years, whichever occurs first. It's recommended to run the engine every couple of weeks over the winter (if you don't ride in the snow/bad weather) so the belts don't become 'set' in one position. The old belts don't look very worn to me, tension was still ok, and even the info printed on the back of the belts was not completely worn off. But at £26 plus VAT for a pair of genuine belts i'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, full desmodromic operation, only a weak hair spring on the closing rocker arm to remove float. All adjustment is via shims, closing shims require collett removal. With the belts off you can spin the cam with two fingers, very little drag. The engine is the same as the Ducati 750/900 supersport range, slight difference in the crankcases due to swing arm bearings being in the frame on the 'fant.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
I have started my belts and shims service on the Elefant (every two years regardless of mileage) which involves fitting new timing belts and checking valve clearances along with all the usual stuff. So for anyone that has considered buying an Elefant - this is what to expect. A few photos showing what you have to remove in order to get to the vertical cylinder exhaust valve. enjoy.....

View attachment 24044 View attachment 24045 View attachment 24046

PS. Italia Moto in Lincoln were excellent again for parts, everything in stock and 10% discount off the cam belts and Silkolene Pro 4 15w/50 oil.
Thats a job to do huh. Did you say you had another one in boxes ??.

Nice bikes these.:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I bought a another identical complete bike with a dropped valve for spares, but it turned out to be too good to break up so it has been stripped and awaits assembly with heads, cylinders and pistons from a 750 monster engine.

All I'll say is that if you enjoy 'fetling' as much as riding then Cagiva Elefants are your ideal bike. 10 hours on a Sunday in my own garage with a bike and coffee on tap with no distractions is relaxation in my book. Having said that my 'fant has been pretty much faultless over the last two years since it's last big service. Once you replace the marginal wiring loom/rec/reg and wire the switchgear through relays you are fairly sorted.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Yes, I bought a another identical complete bike with a dropped valve for spares, but it turned out to be too good to break up so it has been stripped and awaits assembly with heads, cylinders and pistons from a 750 monster engine.

All I'll say is that if you enjoy 'fetling' as much as riding then Cagiva Elefants are your ideal bike. 10 hours on a Sunday in my own garage with a bike and coffee on tap with no distractions is relaxation in my book. Having said that my 'fant has been pretty much faultless over the last two years since it's last big service. Once you replace the marginal wiring loom/rec/reg and wire the switchgear through relays you are fairly sorted.
LOL, i have been "fettling" for 32 years i am pleased to say.:D

I have just finished my KTM 400 and have a Aprilia Tuareg Wind to start on shortly ( although it just needs a service really ). I think i'll give Marc a call.:D

Nice bike Mahout, we'll have to meet up for a cuppa and i can have a better look.:D

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Nice work :thumbup:

It's mad how modern car cam belts under higher load & convoluted runs yet have service intervals of 100-140k yet bikes are still in the dark ages!

Anyway, it's always nice to see a bike laid bare :thumbup:

Phil

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Anyway, it's always nice to see a bike laid bare"

Especially for piguglyshandydrinker:

The Elefant is now back together and running well. I discovered one valve stem seal had come away from the top of the valve guide, so I ordered a set and replaced them all. Also fitted some new cam belt tensioner rollers as they looked past their sell by date. Here's a few pictures -

vertical cylinder cam belt
vertical belt (Medium).jpg

Here's the horizontal cylinder cam belt

horizontal belt (Medium).jpg

Here is the front cylinder valve shim access (rocker covers) oil cooler removed

horizontal rocker covers (Medium).jpg

vertical cylinder inlet rocker cover access

vertical inlet rocker cover (Medium).jpg

Exhaust tappet cover with shock refitted

rear shock (Medium).jpg

and finally reassembled minus tank and plastics ready for carb balancing

minus plastics close (Medium).jpg

all now reassembled and running well.

·
Administrator
1,767 Posts
Thank you - very interesting! :thumbup:
I spoke a couple of weeks ago to someone who rents out the Ducati equivalent for track days, and I mentioned your pictures and asked why he'd use such a complex bike as a hire tool. Apparently the Ducati has various detachable bits of frame to make access (relatively) easy - and he found the engines to be very reliable, even in track day usage. Add in the Ducati "wow factor" and he reckoned he'd made a very good choice :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts