Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vara 1000va-5 has almost reached 16000 miles and will be soon due the next service. The local bike shop CMC Motorcycles in Derbyshire are asking €482.97 (£350) to do the job, is this a fair amount for all the work involved bearing in mind it is a major service, or would it be better to look somewhere else?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, seems a tad high to me, just having mine serviced at Racing Lines in Derby, 8k service. Be worth giving Rob a ring and seeing how much he would charge.

A fellow Derbian too, nice :p

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I did a major service my self over winter, the parts including chain, sprockets, cam chain tensioners, oil, filters, plugs, front and rear pads came to £300+ so it depends what they are going to do, plus the time it takes to get all the body work off to be able to work on it was an hour or two. If your handy with the tools, get a Haynes manual and have a go your self, it's much more rewarding and you get to know your bike a lot better.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Take it, that's a steal ,when mine went for its 1600 mile sevice it cost in the region of £500+.
The major part of the cost is time and it takes time to check the tapet shims.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Check what is included in that price, most of it is just a service - are they checking the valves for that? If so are they adjusting them for that price too or would that be extra?

Checking the clearances on the Vara is quite easy, it's the adjustment that takes the time.
They won't change cct's or c&s within the quoted price of a service so can't compare price for the £300 in parts alone!

Phil

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I got my Harley Davidson serviced and it cost 50,000 euro but I got it dipped in gold and diamond en crusted and chrome covers on every thing I even got some chrome covers to cover some other chrome covers well like I allways say you cant have too much chrome it drives some of the hog fellas hog wild :blob7:

just wondering how in the name of Jehova would a bike need valve clearance checked at 16 k sounds more like it would suit the person doing the work more than the one paying for it . probably only use shim changing fluid anyway .spray on wd40 and wipe it off again that will be £500 cheers mate :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you want the stamp in the book for resale value then get it done. £350 is a good price if it includes VAT.
If you're not bothered by service history because you're keeping the bike then most is easy DIY (plugs - rear is a bit of a fiddle)
Valve clearances are another story. Many/most Vara. owners will tell the same story. Namely valves checked, all OK. (At more miles than yours)
Mine have never been checked. My mechanic (I trust him) told me (and continues to tell me) they were/are OK, mostly it seems by just listening, but there are/were no adverse symptoms.
My bike is now on 137000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
What jackdaw said. I home serviced mine and apart from valves it is v easy. But you can forget the valves if they have been checked once. Getting the tank off to change the air filter can be a bit awkward as it is big and heavy if full and there's two taps one of which always gets knocked open as lift the tank away. With a mate to help its an easy and sociable thing to do. Oh, and I am pretty sure the plugs are changed every 32.000, but I aold my vara 3 years ago so may be wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies,

Will have to ring the bike shop and make sure the £350 they quoted is all I will have to pay, I don't want they price to suddenly go up to £500 or more when I go and pick the bike up :(

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I agree with tranman. You can't tell if the valve clearances need adjusting just by listening. Valves that have too large a clearance will be noisy, but valves with too small a clearance won't make any noise, and they are the ones that will ruin your engine. They need to be checked (relatively) early in the bike's life because that's when you are most likely to get tight valves.

Reactions: Jackdaw
1 - 14 of 14 Posts