Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
luddite
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok clutching at straws here & weel out of my depth! Just been informed that wife's youngest brother has been rushed to hospital with a "thrombose au cerveaux" which I think means a blood clot in one of the ateries behind the brain. the other problem is that he's in Mayotte!

the doctors there seem to be saying that a) he's not transportable & b) he going to die or possibly become a vegetable (yes I know it's crude but I don't have time or heart for niceties just now).

Can you, Sharrie, or anyone else knowledgeable, tell me anything I need to know about this sort of thing, is there any hope?



madame moon is obviously in majour panic mode right now, Father in law is not much better as there's no way he can get out there & deal with it or see his son (father in law was amputated his right leg about 2 yrs ago) & mother in law is depressive already so this isn't helping... I'm trying to communicate with the other Brother just now, but I'm screwed if I know how to deal with this.

Anyway, any info on the medical side may help me, other than that I may well be back on here to vent some angst a little later

Thanks for listening

MooN
 

·
luddite
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they think this might be due to a accident he had about 10 days ago in which he got rear ended in a car. they think that he may have suffered whiplash that was not spotted... is that possible.
 

·
luddite
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, as I understand it it's a clot in a artery.

other brother has a wife who works at the hospital in Frejus (big posh hospital on the south coast) & persuaded one of the doctors there to phone & talk to the hospital in Mayotte. They are happy that he's in good hands & that they have done & are doing the right thing. Apparently they've injected some substance into the artery to try & dissolve the clot & now want to wait 48 hours to see what the results of that are.

Timescale wise; apparently he collapsed & went into convulsions this morning before going to work (i'm guessing around 08h00 which is 06h00 our time) his wife called the pompiers & they took him to the nearest hospital which doesn't have a IRM so they went to the main hospital which does. We were contacted at about 11h30 our time si 13h30 in mayotte... so possibly 5 hours after the attack. By that time he was already treated & in an induced coma so probably a couple of hours after arriving at the hosp. which leaves maybe 3hours between the attack & full hospital treatment. I don't know what the pompiers / ambulance team might have done to alleviate or lessen the damage.

we should know more tomorrow. If the treatment has some effect & he becomes transportable they'll take him to La Reunion which has bigger & better facilities where they'll decide wether to fly him home or what (which is a 5000mile trip...)that's the best case scenario so far.
 

·
luddite
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no evolution during the night
another scan (MRI ?) planned for midday ish.

Rest of the family rallied round, galvanised by the 2 great grandmothers (!) Matriarchal power...
Mother in law to fly out this evening.
Kids subdued, but dealing with it as only kids can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,481 Posts
sorry to hear about this.....I hope the matter ends up in the best possible scenario mate
 

·
Stone Crazy
Joined
·
5,317 Posts
Moon I am sorry to hear of this and hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery
Merv
 

·
Should know better
Joined
·
2,980 Posts
I'm sorry too, must be a big worry for all. Will keep fingers crossed for him, meantime try to keep your chin up (not sure how you'd say that in French) :(. Lou.
 

·
luddite
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Incoming update;

Scan results show no improvement, whatever it was they tried hasn't worked. original message said that they were going to reduce the sedatives keeping him in a coma to try & wake him to assess the damage.

Subsequent phonecalls have slightly less pessimistic answers answers, ie yes we need to remove the artificiel come to asses the possibilities of transfer to a unit/ Hospital (either La reunion or France) where an operation can be attempted. They say there IS an operation for this sort of thing but where it's placed makes it highly complicated so it needs to be done by a top rate team in a hospital geared up for it.

So, over the next few hours, we may know more on how bad the damage is.

Only good news so far is that my mother in laws's brother has talked her into allowing him to go with her. They fly out this evening around 1800 to arrive there 14hrs later...
 

·
Matron
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
Moon it sounds as if they are on the ball with brain injuries. moving to a more specialist centre is sensible once he is able to make that journey.

I will send some links to you in a bit, they will be UK resources but have good information for you

Phone if you need anything
 

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
Joined
·
2,978 Posts
no, as I understand it it's a clot in a artery.................................

I don't know what the pompiers / ambulance team might have done to alleviate or lessen the damage.
Moon, I'm sorry to read about this. Matron has no doubt given you all the details about what is going on here from a medical / clinical perspective, and she is way more qualified than me to speak on these matters.

However , you wonder what (if anything) the pompiers would have done in this situation.

The pompiers would have recognised very quickly that the patient was presenting some form of intra cranial vascular episode , the symptoms are fairly easy to pick-up on. The problem that they are faced with is whether this is a haemorragic (bleed) or ischaemic (clot) episode, time is of the essence here and in the early stages both types present with simmilar signs and symptoms. Although I am not up to speed with french ambulance protocol , I assume that they would carry thrombolytic drugs , but they are intended for use with patients presenting myocardial infarction (MI - "heart attack"). Using thrombolytic drugs on a patient presenting a haemorrage would be disasterous , making the symptoms worse.
The only way to be certain what is happening inside the patient's skull is by scan ...MRI or CT.

If I had been called to your relative my working diagnosis would be CVA (Ceribal vascular accident) and my course of action would be ....... HIGH FLOW OXYGEN to maintain O2 saturation at or near 100% to maximise tissue perfusion , the RAPID TRANSPORT to a unit with scanner facility. CLOSE OBSERVATION en route , watching blood pressure and LOC. And most importantly - PRE ALERT to the receiving unit , so that they are ready and waiting for the patient's arrival.

TIME is the most important aspect here - quick diagnosis - rapid, definative, assessment and timely treatment.

I do hope things work out ok.
 

·
luddite
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your thoughts & info people, it all helps... or at least helps me, if only to know that there are people thinking of us right now.
I've just had a call from my wife who's spoken to her mum who is now thare at the hospital.

the news is, I think, not good. They've reduced the sedatives in an attempt to bring him out od the coma. This has not worked, as far as I can ascertain he is still in a coma, not reacting to stimuli, not swallowing (?), has no eye/pupil reaction & is only breathing due to a machine. I have no clue as to what his chances are but I think they said that IF he comes round they don't know how bad he'll be but probably quadraplegic...
It's very difficult to know exactly as I'm getting all this at third hand. They haven't mentioned moving him yet.
 

·
SOTGATT
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
I hope the miracle happens for you all mate...I really do. :(
 

·
Matron
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
Moon they won't thing about moving him until they know he is stabe, if they have stopped sedation today it's still early but much of the decisions will be based on the scan reports.

It's going to be a slow process and extremely frustrating because all you can do is sit and hope. Please call if there is anything your not sure of

Xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
Just found this Chris , fingers crossed mate
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top