Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Always use your mirrors when slowing down or stopping

I always do it, but I had a bit of a close shave today (and no not with the lady shaver either) that made me appreciate why

On my way home, M4 on the outside lane, which is at a standstill in front so I slow down, flick on my hazards and am crawling towards the car in front at about 5 mph, glance in my mirror and see that the car behind isn't slowing.

At the speed he is approaching I figure it's going to be a splat so I hit the power and flick the bike into the middle lane which thankfully was empty. A quick glance behind I see that car occupying the space that I had been in previously and it looked like it was touching bumpers with the car that was in front of me, but had I not moved it would have made a very bad day.

I'm obsessive when riding checking my mirrors, and today I'm bloody glad I am. Not sure that I'd have walked away from that one.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Well done Sharrie :blob5:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
phew!well done hun! ......and I still see people sitting in neutral arms crossed watching the world go round! I agree you don't stop checking because you are stood still! your clutch and adequate space in front to go round are your lifesafer when standing in traffic or junctions. I have had similar moments myself with one botty cough moment watching a car sliding towards me in my mirror with the tyres smoking and screaching.:( I promptly pooped my pants and did similar to you except on a junction, so room to get behind other cars! :D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
tehe! just remembered I still have an old avatar pic of yours! ;)

Think it was from an old thread about shooting Welsh folk on Sundays?? :confused: somat like that?

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Well done Sharrie, and good to know you're OK. Quick thinking and life saver :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Well done sharrie, this is one of the things I always worry about whenever I have to come to a sharpish stop or slow down and always check my mirrors while braking - ask DC and hudders about it :). Had a very close call in a car once where my avoiding action must have saved a big pile up on the m6.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Sharrie
that sounds like a close one, just goes too show you can never be too careful, good to hear you came out unscathed
Merv

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good to hear you are ok. I wasn't so lucky in France, stopped at a T didn't look in the mirrors. Next second in my normal position on the floor leg under the bike thinking what is French for "some on get this ******* bike off me". fat-mal;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had a similar experience years ago, I was approaching a queue of traffic at the lights and at the last minute decided to pop into the girlfriends, so I changed lanes and turned left just as a car ploughed into the car I was behind.
He hit it with so much force the three cars in front were also hit.
I think a combination of mirrors and awareness of the surrounding saved my life and yours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts