Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rd04 gives me some headakes! i have storaged her for 6 months and now she will not go over 140kmh and she feels like a scooter, no kick and just a fraction of the power she had
i have done some maintanance work on her that consits in :
-changing the chain and sprockets (44 teeth to the rear)
-carburretor sync and fixing the pilot screws from 2.1/2 to 2.1/4(like the manual said) and of course 2 cleanings of the carburetor cause i have used sylicone to seal and that sylicone disolved and clogged one jet . membranes are ok.
- refitted the motad venom with a new link pipe
- checked the valves for adjustement(there was everything ok, no need to adjust)
- cleaned the k&n filter
- new oil and oil filter
- and some other stuff not related to the engine
what can she possible have! the simptoms are like this::
-she starts with the choke immediately, the revs go up relatively quick(2500rpm), i push the choke gentle back, then she goes at 1000rpm and she feels like the engine would stop, after 15min of stop and go the idle speed is around 1500rpm and it does not stay there, it wobbles between 1300 and 1500 or , after a longer period ..like 30min of stop and go , it wobbles between 1500 and 1700. (i did indeed played around with the idle screw a lot to obtain tham 1200rpm +_ 100 that the books sais)
- she has just half of the power she used to have
- she will not go pass over 140kmh and a few minutes ago she did noy go over 130kmh(i did had strong wind from the front)
- she has a strange noise from the left side when i ride it, something like tzac tzac tzac (dont know if it is the fuel pump or what, the valves where correct adjusted)
tyres are inflated, bearings are greased, susspension is refurbished, tank has got new fuel(unleeded 95), chain is tensioned correct, front sprocket is standard, fuel flows freely from tank to fuel filter(new about 3000km, has a few air bubbles in it), fuel pump has got new repair kit, the carbs are cleaned and syncd, the spark plugs are 4000km old(1 year) and look very ok after riding the bike
any word of advice?
thanks in advanced

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the chokes are cleaned and lubed, the cables are alsou lubed ! a friend of mine with rd07 and larger jets after the winter gained only 150kmh . the weather is windy but the gas in my tank is fresh and his gas was old and his bike felt more nervous, an rd03 felt more powerfull than mine alsou.
i am going to re-clean the carbs cause that silicone that i used for sealing might have done more damage than i imagine.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Any chance of an air leak on the inlet rubbers? Was that what you were sealing with the silicone? It wouldn't take a very big bit to cause a blockage in the carbs, particularly the jets, but I doubt it would actually damage them (hopefully not). Sounds like a job for the air line and a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think not, cause i was extremely cautios when i installed everything, and i have tighten everything and double checked.
one good point in all this problem is that now i have more km per liter! but still no power, i struggle to pass big lorrys, last year that was" kinderspiel"

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that silicone was suposed to be gas resistant and i have used it to seal the lower caps from the carburetors cause the o-rings did not seemd ok to me, and the gas disolved that silicone(a small piece), it blocked the jets on the left side carb and made me re-clean the carbs. now she goes well, starts very well, but she goes just 130-140kmh and the idle speed is not constant

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That sounds like a weak mixture: any chance there is still some in one of the jets? Does the engine get hotter than usual? Plug colour OK? If the silicone has dissolved, it might have left a deposit in the carbs, so a thorough (chemical) clean might sort it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have dissmantled the bike again. i am going to re clean the carbs and i will use compressed air. i have pumped air in those two nostrells , right on top of the carbs, and in the rear cil the air flows freely and in the front cil carb the air flows but a little hard. the sparck plugs look like this
in the left side-the front cilinder spark plug

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does anyone know to wich carb this jet belongs? i did not noticed that this one has got mpore holes than the other one and now i do not know to wich cilinder belongs this one

temporarily the carbs look like this

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
solved! used some decarbuslove to clean the carburettor and i have used compressed air to blow each hole. put everything back, mounted to the bike and now she is a demon. from a twist of the wrist she goes now to 175kmh(windy weather)
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts