Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The one that came with my RD04 was ...one... of the MOT fails, leaking oil and I'll admit was dog-rough - felt like a camel with a broken back!

I was going to get a refurb, Brook Suspension or FTR both look good, but I Ebayed a shock from a breakers for 70 nicker (quoted as from a 30k miles bike).

The 'new' shock from Ebay looks as so, bit of rust about but nothing drastic:

The one that came with the bike looks as so:

Really, I've just today been cramming up on the shock spec's with a view to swapping them out if not this weekend, then next but has someone drilled into the shock and bolted in a pedal bike inner tube valve so they could top up the gas with a Halfords foot pump?!?

The reservoirs can be had for around 20 nicker on Ebay so I may well pick one up and get the existing shock refurbed with one but still, not surprised it didn't work!

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's a Schrader valve as it should be. Only way to refill it with nitrogen and special no loss adapter.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks Petar, so it's a real modification and not just a botch?

Hopefully my (new to me) Ebay shock will work OK for now, I'll keep the old one around until I either get around to having it refurbed, or if I like this AT enough to keep it for the duration I could save my cash for a Nitron then pass the old shock along.

For now, Ebay is enough to get this bike road legal ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes Simon, any workshop would put a similar valve there as it is only way to refill it.
I don't understand how it is filled with gas at factory without a valve!? Maybe some sort of autoclave process??? Who knows

Nitron would sure be a nice upgrade over stock but a lot of cash

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess mate, a Hagon etc. new seem to be around the 300 quid mark or slightly above. Taking into account a workshop refurb of an original Showa plus postage takes the cost to about 150 to 200 so cost of a refurb vs. basic new could be only 100?

For yet another 125 to 150 or so could get a Nitron (from reading here on XRV and elsewhere, Nitron seem to be a really good bet) as going Ohlins etc. is too expensive for what I want. Really, I'm just after a reliable OK shock for mostly road riding and some greenlaning.

If I keep the AT I'll kind of be concentrating more on the output shaft replacement as the first big fit, I have a pretty good condition used shaft but I'd have to balance losing the bike from the road again for most likely several weeks and fitting that one in the kitchen (which my wife will really like ;) ) vs. having a pro refit done = less time, a LOT more cash so that's a decision I'll make later in the year :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts