Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So , what a day ..

Met up with Jim & SteveT at tomintoul for a coffee and bacon roll .

Then we headed of into the hills, the wind / rain / sun .. came and went .

Finding a gated road we stopped off for a look around ..

The perfect wild camp spot

We then headed up the hill .. Oh look we found a track up to the wind turbines.

A Short Ride up the track we came across a ford , which after much discussion between us.. Jim took the challenge.

YouTube - ‪fordsm‬‏

Back on the tarred road ..

I was behind jim, and slighty misjudged a corner , and locked up the rear .. Ending up 2foot into the verge. But he saved it excellently and stayed upright ..

Stopping at Fort Augustus for fuel etc , we then head back to Elgin .. A welcome coffee prepared by Fiona (Thank You) ..

Then a windy but dry ride back to Aberdeen ..

307 miles today ,, excellent .. cold and windy , wet but excellent fun .. :) :)

Thanks Guys for a great day.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Great report! :thumbleft: I love reading these and the video of the ford crossing was great too.

But a video of Jim's crash save would have been good! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
looks like a great day :)

good job the wee tigger is lighter than the mighty Varadero :) don't want 'varadero' moment on the new toy James :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Well, firstly the thanks!
Largewayround for organising this run, then SteveT for picking the route, one of the best this year!

I left Elgin around 11.00 and headed to the rendevous at the Firestation restaurant in Tomintoul for 12.00.
Due to riding in banshee mode got there 11.35, ample time for a bacon roll and a coffee before off!
SteveT turned up a couple of minutes after I arrived so placed the order for lunch! LWR appeared soon after and joined us.
We conversed with a few Irish bikers at the next table to us out in the car park, sharing our passion for the roads in the Tomintoul area before leaving on our adventure.
SteveT picked the route so I followed. While heading up a gated road we stopped at a scenic spot used for wild camping, goddamn it was a lovely spot, I may well camp there some time in the future!
Next was the trail up to the windmills, or at least it would have been if the others had crossed the ford! Regardless, was a hoot and the chase back down between Steve and myself was great fun!
A shower of rain was had, but we continued to Fort Augustus. En route I had a bit of a moment where I went "offroad" well, both wheels locked going into a corner and I left the tar and basically went "offroad"!!!! Good save tho, bike still whole!
A nice run home, ended the day with a coffee with LWR.
Over all, I'm lovin the Tiger 800XC! Great on road, great offroad, very scary onroad to offroad interface! Average 54mpg today, happier with that, and we weren't hanging around!
Next serious farkle has to be tyres! Poor grip in the wet and **** offroad, tail hanging everywhere! Needs tyres!
Great day was had.

Ray mate, the Mighty Varadero wouldn't have had that problem! Technically, it was the Honda braking system that led to the issue! Being so used to the Vara linked ABS I went rocketing into a left hander too fast (far too fast!) and thought I could stand on the back brake and scrub off the unwanted speed! Well, it works with the Honda! No such luck, around 20 feet of black rubber line painted on the road and trundling along the verge induced a brown pants moment! I'll get used to the raw brakes of the Tigger, damn it's a fine bike mate!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ray mate, the Mighty Varadero wouldn't have had that problem! Technically, it was the Honda braking system that led to the issue! Being so used to the Vara linked ABS I went rocketing into a left hander too fast (far too fast!) and thought I could stand on the back brake and scrub off the unwanted speed! Well, it works with the Honda! No such luck, around 20 feet of black rubber line painted on the road and trundling along the verge induced a brown pants moment! I'll get used to the raw brakes of the Tigger, damn it's a fine bike mate!
Hope you don't find out how much lighter the tigglet is than the Varadero to pick up for a long time mate :)

Just had a wee run last night on the Frankein-Twin with the larger Tank on , filled to the brim 43lts.. ready for the TLD.. threw it over in to a low speed bend and it kept going !!

soon Got used to it..

Glad to see Steve T got his wash for this season :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nice one LWR, good the weather held off, I need to get up that end of the world soon....

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hope you don't find out how much lighter the tigglet is than the Varadero to pick up for a long time mate :)

Just had a wee run last night on the Frankein-Twin with the larger Tank on , filled to the brim 43lts.. ready for the TLD.. threw it over in to a low speed bend and it kept going !!

soon Got used to it..

Glad to see Steve T got his wash for this season :)
Ah well, you see,,,, I laid it down and picked it up last week, just to see if I could! A lot lighter than the Vara for sure! LOL!
But I wouldn't have wanted to lay it into the ditch I went rocketing along on Sunday! Big boulders!
Aye, weight can be tricky to balance. Watch yourself on that long distance run mate, it's not for me!
Hope to see you on the next run mate.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ah well, you see,,,, I laid it down and picked it up last week, just to see if I could! A lot lighter than the Vara for sure! LOL!
But I wouldn't have wanted to lay it into the ditch I went rocketing along on Sunday! Big boulders!
Aye, weight can be tricky to balance. Watch yourself on that long distance run mate, it's not for me!
Hope to see you on the next run mate.
going to have a week chillin in foreign parts after .. the 'event'

catch up with you and fi soon no doubt... ( bloody windy here today !! :) )

you keep it rubber side down.... so a good outcome..

so you going for TKCs ? :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Not sure mate, not impressed with 2K miles to a rear, or the vague front, would love something in between the TKC and the Anakee. The stock Battlewings are good on the dry but skittish in the wet, offroad, well, how much do you need?
I'll think about it over the next few K's.
Roll on the big trip to the Stella!

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Good on yer Jim --- give er diesel :thumbup::thumbup::D

Nice write up guys :thumbright:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Not sure mate, not impressed with 2K miles to a rear, or the vague front, would love something in between the TKC and the Anakee. The stock Battlewings are good on the dry but skittish in the wet, offroad, well, how much do you need?
I'll think about it over the next few K's.
Roll on the big trip to the Stella!
Seem to making TKCs from cheese these days.. my rear has just done Galloway.. so mainly 500miles of twisties and off road and there's visible squaring of the center...

150 k60 with a Tk front :)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Oooooooh you've got some great roads up there :thumbleft:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Oooooooh you've got some great roads up there :thumbleft:

Aye Bob,

They're nice when they are dry :(
Which last month hasn't been too often :(

Had to pull the guys off the job today - culverts weren't coping, but back home here it's sunny :confused: Weird fekin place :D

Never mind -- summer's almost here, time to get my rusty barbie on the go :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts