Honda XRV Forum banner

Short Term Loan of my @

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Yeti 
#1 ·
An American biker friend of mine is coming over for my wedding (gasp, choke, cough. Still freaks me out to say that) in July. It's a long haul for him and, given the weakness of the dollar, an expensive one. Since he's come all this way, he figures he'll have a look around for a few days. He was last here about 25 years ago with the Navy and wants to see if anything's changed (that's another thread right there). To save him some dosh, I thought I'd loan him my @ for a few days. He's a lifelong rider and has ridden in other countries before so I thought it'd be no problem. However, in the unlikely event he gets clipped on a roundabout or something, I was wondering if I should get short term insurance for him on my @. Is this possible?:dontknow:

#2 ·
are you going to add him as a named rider on yours or take out a separate policy for him?

adding will be cheaper but if anything does happen bang goes your no claims

#4 ·
:confused:
you will really need advice from your insurers on this as most policies do have the provision for adding an extra rider ,don't think the license will be an issue but because he's a non uk resident it might be a sticking point with them
:)
if he has his own bike insurance in the states he might be able to get temporary cover for the uk
:(
but if you just let him borrow your @ without ins and he gets stopped,it's possible both of you could be prosecuted ....your mate for riding without ins and you possibly for aiding and abetting ?

from a professional point of view iwould be interested to know what your insurers say about this ??

other option is for him to hire a bike for a couple of days ?

apart from that i hope he has a great stay in the uk

:D:D:D

#5 ·
Thanks for that, Nomad. Guess I'll ring my insurers tomorrow and find out. Just thought I'd ask here if it was even possible.

His original plan was to hire a bike for a couple of days but for a bike large enough for two people plus gear that worked out to £280 (roughly $560 in green american monoploy money) from some place in Oxfordshire that's near-ish to where he's staying. It was that price that prompted me to think about loaning him my @ for a few days instead.

I also told him that traffic has increased a little bit in the past 25 years.;)

#6 ·
If he is riding for "social domestic and pleasure" it should be no probs to add him to your policy for however many days.
If we wants to use it for work forget it. I was quoted an astronomical amount to be added to someone's bike insurance for that (thousands, not hundreds) when I had no bike of my own.
There are plenty of places in London that will hire bike (big ones too) but you are talking £40 a day entry price for a mid-range bike.

G
#8 ·
I covered a friend on one of my bikes as a named rider on my policy. He has a Spanish licence and it wasn't a problem - they just wanted to know that his licence entitled him to ride a motorcycle of that power/capacity.

But it was expensive - I think £120 for a week when my policy for 3 bikes was under £400 for a year!

I guess it might depend on the insurer, though, whether they'll do it at all and how much they'll charge.

#11 ·
I'm suprised that you could put a named rider on a mulit-bike policy?!?! they will not normally entertain it as it is based on the insurance for the highest risk bike of the lot, given that you can only ride one at once. A named rider effectively doubles the risk having 2 bikes on the road?!? be interested to know who you are insured with.

#9 ·
I dont have any friends that i would trust My AT to, to do a tour.. but i am very curious about what the insurance guys say..
so what happened???

#10 ·
Just heard from him. Apparently he was able to get a hire bike in london through his local bike club which brought the price down to within reason so the loan is unnecessary.

I've advised him to get a decent lock and where NOT to leave the bike overnight.

Thanks to all for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.