Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody bought any of this kit ?, any pros and cons ??
Don't want to go overboard wonga wise as it is just for de scaling the beemer :D

I may have access to a compressor which may simplify the issue:thumbup:

Any recommendations would be appreciated

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Now that looks the dogs danglies - might give it a go..

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tony,

I'll look over it when I've more time. I'm running between the garage and the house measuring fairing bolts for the AT just now ;);):D:D

Cheers

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Shot blasting is very agressive, aluminium oxide is good for bike frames and other steel parts. Glass bead is good for alloy but you have to replace it regularly because as the beads break up they mark the alloy.
Soda blasting is gentle so it will not scour out rust but for non agressive cleaning it is very good.
The good thing with soda is you rinse the item off and the soda is disolved, no harsh abrasive to worry about. Easy and relativly cheap soda from animal feed suppliers (sodium bicarbonate).
For blasting, its compressor horsepower that matters. The more powerfull the better.
At home I use a 3hp compressor, its just abought enough with a smaller blast gun. I use a cheap (aldi) gun for soda as the soda is very light and picks up easily there is plenty of volume output.
I use a cabinet (clarks) for bead blasting, this is great for small alloy parts and the bead is re cycled.
For agrassive blasting I use bags of comercial media called oleum, it rips the paint and rust off.
Allways use a mask!
Dont use sand, the dust will harm you!

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
Leave the frame in the front drive John - with the weather you are getting at the moment it will not take long for the wind, hail and rain to take the paint off.
Seriously, the clarkes cabinet is great for little pieces (up to 18"ish), but soda is probably best for most of what you need although it takes a while. The plastic beads are really good, but expensive.
Phone Speedy in Inverness, they will know someone who will do it for you.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

·
17,680 Posts
Thanks Tony,

I'll look over it when I've more time. I'm running between the garage and the house measuring fairing bolts for the AT just now ;);):D:D

Cheers
what you up to you wee dafty:toothy10:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I Do:blob7::toothy10: im gonna have me a play:thumbup:
Sodium bicarbonate, about £12 for a 25kg bag from an animal feed merchant.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
I might give that a try- I bought one of those Aldi guns a while ago but have never used it (and I have a 2.5 or 3 hp compressor). Will the soda blasting remove the white growth from neglected alloy ? (I've an old CG125 that's been sat in the garage for 15+ years,and the engine castings look very sad).

·
17,680 Posts
I might give that a try- I bought one of those Aldi guns a while ago but have never used it (and I have a 2.5 or 3 hp compressor). Will the soda blasting remove the white growth from neglected alloy ? (I've an old CG125 that's been sat in the garage for 15+ years,and the engine castings look very sad).
be carefull you might find no CG125 left when the dust clears:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sodium bicarbonate, about £12 for a 25kg bag from an animal feed merchant.
Thanks mate 25kg should keep me going for a while,,,having said that if vader heres about this i might need about 6 tonnes for his transalp
:toothy10:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Bead or vapour blasting will, Soda is less aggresive. If you have the air and gun then go for it, you get the idea as you use it. The only thing with a lower HP compressor is you have to wait thii the pressure builds up. The good thing about the Aldi gun is its specced up to work with low HP compressors so it seems to work well with the Soda.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
be carefull you might find no CG125 left when the dust clears:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
If the soda's that good, perhaps I can use it for stone cleaning?
The CG is one of the old, proper Japanese-made ones, not the South American clones, so I'm hoping the Honda engineering will have survived. It coped with my considerable bulk commuting over our local "mountain" each day for years !

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Nah, my run to the pub does that for me :D
There's the answer John, just down a bottle of the Grouse and breathe on the Bmw, descale and pleasure done in one. :p:D

Andy.

·
17,680 Posts
There's the answer John, just down a bottle of the Grouse and breathe on the Bmw, descale and pleasure done in one. :p:D

Andy.
:laughing3: hmmm rust nails :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If the soda's that good, perhaps I can use it for stone cleaning?
The CG is one of the old, proper Japanese-made ones, not the South American clones, so I'm hoping the Honda engineering will have survived. It coped with my considerable bulk commuting over our local "mountain" each day for years !
Soda is used for non damaging removal of grafiti from walls etc.
If the weather was better I would take some photos of the kit and results but its too wild to mess around outside, hence my post count this week :thumb:

·
17,680 Posts
Soda is used for non damaging removal of grafiti from walls etc.
If the weather was better I would take some photos of the kit and results but its too wild to mess around outside, hence my post count this week :thumb:

AaaaaaHA !!! that explains you sudden rise to the 1k club:thumbright::mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts