Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As most of the cyclists seem to ignore the rules of the road I would have to say no. They should have routes set out that avoid other traffic as much as possible.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Oh no here we go again ;)
Winxp-master's coming quick someone distract him while i rub this thread out heheh

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
if cyclists just followed the cyclist bits of the Highway Code it would helptheir case. As it is, many (and I mean adults, particularly of the pastel lycra persuasion) are just not safe to be anywhere near the road!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I think bikes should be on the road, pay no road tax, have no insurance, BUT if they jump a redlight or go the wrong way down a one way and get nabbed they should get penalty points.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Dedicated cycle lanes, please.

Why invite casualties by having cyclists ride alongside vehicles and drivers that, predominantly, don't see them as a threat, and so don't see them.

It would also reduce the need/desire for cyclists to ride on the pavement in order to avoid the danger.

I don't see why there is even any question about it. No need for pilot schemes needed: it's been working in Scandinavia, Germany the Netherlands etc for decades...

No brainer, really...

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I agree with Warthog and the article.

I am a cyclist and i don't think they have any place on roads, it's dangerous and i will not ride on them.

Give me a dedicated cycle path and i'll use it. Until then, i'll continue to cycle on the path so i don't get killed and if anyone doesn't like it then they are free to stop me and tell me ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts

I am a cyclist and i don't think they have any place on roads, it's dangerous and i will not ride on them.

Give me a dedicated cycle path and i'll use it. Until then, i'll continue to cycle on the path so i don't get killed and if anyone doesn't like it then they are free to stop me and tell me ;)
I agree 100% :thumb:. I'm quite happy to cycle trails and use cycle paths, but I will not go on the road at any point, because I strongly beleive they should not be there. Ever. If its a heavily populated pavement (lots of mums with pushchairs, children running around, or the pavement outside the Post Orifice on Pension day etc) then I'll just get off and walk it.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts

Spot on young man :thumbup:
Nothing worse than following two cyclists abreast :confused: Why do they do that ???.
It just cause a tail back and added frustration :mad:
I've followed cyclists ( don't shoot me, I know there are plenty sensible guys out there ) who would rather cycle on the road rather use a purpose made track not even 2m from the edge of the road :mad:

Makes me sooooooo angry :rolleyes:

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Very valid points here , holland has a great cycle way network and it works,
also those boxes for cyclists at traffic lights etc are one of the most stupid ideas ever,
pedal cyclists should not be allowed to pas stationary vehicles at lights junctions etc,
how many times i have crawled behind a cyclist because i cannot give a min 6 foot wide berth to pass them safely with the truck, just too get to lights or a junction to see the silly bugger pass the lorry again and we have to go through the whole scenario again, it is very annoying to say the least, and then cyclist wonder why impatient drivers skim past them with a gnats hair to spare
merv

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Very valid points here , holland has a great cycle way network and it works,
also those boxes for cyclists at traffic lights etc are one of the most stupid ideas ever,
pedal cyclists should not be allowed to pas stationary vehicles at lights junctions etc,
how many times i have crawled behind a cyclist because i cannot give a min 6 foot wide berth to pass them safely with the truck, just too get to lights or a junction to see the silly bugger pass the lorry again and we have to go through the whole scenario again, it is very annoying to say the least, and then cyclist wonder why impatient drivers skim past them with a gnats hair to spare
merv
Without trying to push your buttons, one could say that if you're stopped by the next set of lights, it's the lights holding you up rather than the cyclist!!;)

Just playing devil's advocate!!

It is also what I remind myself when I get tempted to aggressively overtake numpty-driven cars on the TA: better to wait and just ride to the front at the next red.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Top comment ,,, It's simple really, if I or my kids cycle on the road we could could die. If we cycle on the path the worse is cuts and bruises but probably nothing.

G

·
I worked as a cycle courier in London a few years back. During my time I was subject to abuse - a cabbie once slowed right down just to call me a ****er !!!, My bike was kicked by a bloke that stepped off the pavement and walked in front of me and the final straw was being knocked off my bike by a taxi, and the driver called me a "f*****g stupid c***"
Bikes should be on the road but the roads should be fit and safe for people to use. I understand why people don't cycle on roads, you need you wits about you and to survive in modern traffic cyclist are faced with a choice - adhere to the highway code (which incidentally does allow cyclists to ride two a-breast) and face injury and death or bend the rules and survive.

I think that all car and motorcycle tests should include a compulsory 20 hours of cycling on roads in traffic, a little bit of patience and understanding would go a long way.

Apparently the Netherlands have a rule that automatically blames the car driver in the event of a collision. Drivers would see cyclists then.

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Apparently the Netherlands have a rule that automatically blames the car driver in the event of a collision. Drivers would see cyclists then.
The same thing pretty much happens over here anyway, which is why a fair majority of cyclist act like complete ****s because they face no reprocussions, and they know it! :mad:

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts

oi you...........get on the road with that bike sonny !!!!.........now.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I gated and rebuilt the road under the victorian railway arches adjacent to the new Shoreditch Station in east London. I put a cycle gap in both gates. Cars can't drive through any more.

On Thursday I was down there taking photographs of the finished scheme when a British Transport police van screeched up to my crouching body (trying to get arty angles) and four fluorescent flak jacketed rozzers leapt out shouting, "Are you repsonsible for this gate? We haven't got any keys for it, how do we open it in an emergency?"

I asked to see their FB key ring, selected the right key and opened the gate for them. They were just looking sheepish and embarrassed when a lone cyclist pedalled past on the footway. Poor sod, they all descended on him, pointed to the cycle gap then gave him a fixed penalty.:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah a big bunch of big girls' blouses.

My kids have been cycling on the road - in inner London - for year and the youngest is only 12.

Their is no excuse for grown ups cycling on the pavement.

Having said that most London cyclists have a death wish. I stopped at a red light when cycling and was hit from behind by a bloke who argued with me that I didn't need to stop when the light went red. Git:hitler:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Yeah a big bunch of big girls' blouses.

My kids have been cycling on the road - in inner London - for year and the youngest is only 12.

Their is no excuse for grown ups cycling on the pavement.

Having said that most London cyclists have a death wish. I stopped at a red light when cycling and was hit from behind by a bloke who argued with me that I didn't need to stop when the light went red. Git:hitler:
Yeah... but cyclists are safer in Lewisham 'cos if you knock one off the Dealer they deliver take aways for will come after you and pop a cap in your @rse...........:hitler:

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Without trying to push your buttons, one could say that if you're stopped by the next set of lights, it's the lights holding you up rather than the cyclist!!;)

Just playing devil's advocate!!

It is also what I remind myself when I get tempted to aggressively overtake numpty-driven cars on the TA: better to wait and just ride to the front at the next red.
Sorry the problem was not the lights holding me up it was the cyclist pedaling to the front of the queue and having to get past them again, I have no problem with sharing the roads with any other user, but they need to respect other peoples needs as well as their own,
when someone has strugled to find a safe place to pass a cyclist in a large vehicle often with other drivers of smaller vehicles behind them flashing their lights and attempting to push past in traffic i think it is just bad manners to squeeze past em at lights etc and put the traffic back in the same situation again,
My main concern when passing any cyclist is their safety, which many do not seem to concern themselves with,

·
Registered
280 Posts
It appears in this country that the size of the vehicle you drive indicates how right you are in any given situation. So the bigger you are the more right you appear to think you are. HGVs and buses top of the food chain, all the way down to the poor cyclist who is fair game for everybody. When I cycled everywhere, everyone appeared to want to kill me. Now that I ride a motorcycle everone other than cyclists appear to want to kill me. Now, on here it appears mototorcyclists despise cyclists in the same way that bigger road users despise motorcyclists. Double standards eh?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts