Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Musical instrument that is.

My son is looking for a bass guitar to supplement his 6 string job. Now I'm a great fan of Yamaha brass and woodwind instruments but what are the bass guitars like.

Budget isn't a lot but the Yamaha RBX170 at 160ish is in the ballpark. Any of you guitar heroes care to offer an opinion or better suggestion.

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
My daughter had a Yamaha 6 string and it wasn't bad for the money.

I've got a couple of Dean Basses and am very happy with them especially my 8 string

you can get a Dean 4 string with active pickups for less than £200

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Can't speak for the current day hardware but I was sponsored by Yamaha as a musician (6 string variety - lead guitar) back in the 80's after winning their 100th anniversary Battle of the Bands. They were OK but not a patch on may main guitar then (Westone FX imported from USA) and amp set up (Marshall JCM200 lead head and 4x12 cabs). I always thought of them as being reasonable well made but not to justify the expense / cost

However I have had a Yamaha classical guitar for 30 years now that I play most of the time now. The only change I made was a set of Schaller 20:1 machine heads but it sounds great

Can't help on the Bass stuff though and I'm out of touch with what's available now. Our bass player used an Ibanez and a Fender Bassman

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Hi Boris,

I've played guitar for about 20 years now. I've got three 6 strings - one of which is a Yamaha acoustic which - having tried all the 'name' brands in the shop I found to be much better value in the same price bracket....

So when I was looking for a bass to supplement my 6 strings for purposes of a bit of recording I bought a 2nd hand RBX170 off ebay...

I wasn't disappointed... Well made, well finished, OK electrics, decent basic tuning hardware etc... reasonable sounding... good fun to play...

If you are looking in that same 'not after the worlds best bass but want to pay enough so that you get a playable decent sounding instrument not a poorly made toy' price bracket then my experience was you won't go wrong with an RBX170...

In the end I sold mine due to having "too many toys and not enough time" - but it was certainly good enough for me... As is often the case, I regret selling it now !

Cheers, Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts