Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Denmark.

I have just got myself a job which came as a bit of a shock with me turning 60 next month and there was me thinking I was on early retirement.:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Normally this time of year I am tucking my bikes in for winter before the council starts throwing salt everywhere...
Looks like I am going to have to face my first winter in a long time on two wheels and I need some advice in this dept.

What type of thermals would you chaps recommend as I dont like cold. :(:(:(
I havnt ridden in winter on a bike for a long while and my bikes hardly ever get wet so I have to find some kind of spray treatment to keep the salt at bay.
It breaks my heart to have to sacrifice one of my bikes to winter salt n stuff but hey, "I GOT A JOB".
Only scouser in the village with a job.:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
thermals...just my tuppence worth. I lived in the mountains in Italy for many years. I've had cheap market thermals to fooking expensive merino wool sets, with almost every kind in-between, base layers, ski-wear. Best ones....& definitely the longest lasting....Marks & Spencers. Simple.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I got some of the Aldi ones, 'Crane' I think, really thin but very effective. They do socks and inner gloves as well. Cheap enough to buy a few pairs and cycle them round. A good kidney belt makes a big difference, too. The only problem with thermals is that if you get too hot, they are a pain to take off.

What about heated clothing? If Denmark is anything like the Netherlands in Winter, you'll need it. Have a shufti at Phil's recent thread, 'Skinflint heated clothing'. It's certainly inventive, and classy isn't the word for it. No, it really isn't.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
your first line of defence is bike of choice how ever stupid it might sound something like a Suzuki burgman 400/650 with a tall touring screen . for getting to work on 2 wheels they cant be beat big storage area under the seat . 10 Cold-weather Motorcycle Accessories | HowStuffWorks
:mrgreen::mrgreen:
14031143_1470667772949235_2044958076_n.jpg

A bit too nice for a winter hack.:thumbup:
My son wants this one so he can get rid of the bars , luggage , shocks and seat and make a cafe racer out of it.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
aldi base layers are the bollocks mate :D I find fleece tops great too I recently bought a trespass top nice high collar its the job I also use a sleevless fleece over it with the collar hacked off . I wear leather trousers and a snow board /ski quilted trousers over that with a bike water proof trousers over that . bar muffs decent thermal synthetic socks are all good do your home work a fared bike is best a bmw rt or Honda pacific coast would be great but the scooters are real handy how the legs can hind from the weather .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the scooters are real handy how the legs can hind from the weather .
If you take a look at the photo , those cylinders that stick out of the side offer good protection.
Warm air flows past the cylinders and onto your legs when you are giving it some.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I told you already a big wind screen and a big pair of panniers and you have a baby guzzi cali only without the dodgy wiring and naff switch gear and big price tag . the panniers be handy to carry the different layers as in winter you might leave at mid day when its nice and sunny and not to cold then come home after dark when it freezing mad and you need all the gear you can get on that's why in the winter I often use the top box and panniers to fit it all even if I am only going to visit a bike buddy 20 mile away and I know it will be dark and cold going home .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My tin of ACF-50 arrived just in time as we are expecting frost next week.;););)
Do I need to wash my bike first before using it?:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Riding to and from work this week my bike got into some salt on the roads.
We had a heavy night frost mid week which brought the salt trucks out and the next day it rained to spread the cra p every where.
I want to give my bike a once over tomorrow to see how the ACF-50 that I bought after being advised on here is holding up.
I kinda like the smell of it when my engine gets warm.
Me and my son went halvies on an aerosol tin and I reckon one tin is enough to do two bikes.
Can the tins be charged up again if you buy more of the oil because listening to weather experts , I will be needing some this winter.
How long can a coated bike be protected before you need to be giving it more?
Sorry for the dumb questions , never tried this stuff before.:thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Use the ACF 50 slightly warm or it blocks the jet in the sprayer, can or plastic bottle. You can brush it on too. Yes, wash your bike first but it is not necessary for the bike to be bone dry before you apply it. Use it everywhere except brakes and tyres. It is used on aircraft and really does what it says on the tin. When you think about what it does, it is not expensive and a little bit goes a long way. :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bike got a serious coating and there is enough in the tin for a second coat if needed later in the winter...I really like the smell of it when the exhaust warms up .am I wierd? :joker::joker::joker:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts