Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mam, my neck ave gone ard
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday morning my mate and I are hopefully heading south for Morocco on two @’s but all of a sudden his has developed a problem. The symptoms are that the bike will rev cleanly all the way to the red line in all gears but if it’s kept on a constant throttle at any speed it will hunt. He describes it as if the rider is making very small regular throttle inputs causing the bike to behave like it’s rocking on its suspension, a series of very small surges.
Recent work done on it includes a new reg/rectifier, and a facet pump and fuel filter. The reg/rectifier has been tested and is fine the facet is in the process of being tested. I’m thinking either plugs or sticky chokes. Anyone have any other ideas? All gratefully received.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It could have a blocked air filter, or some crud has got through into the carbs.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
This is probably rubbish cos you'll have fitted a new chain, but possibly a tight spot, can make for a snatchy ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. Just a something to look for.Could be caused by the air manifold lifting air somewhere between filter and carb.Spray with wd40 (or any highly inflammable spray) at all the joints and to see if it makes any noticable difference to the revs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your posts in reply to my sick @. It is a strange one, at any constant throttle ridding ie sitting at 50 it hunts it runs fine other than that. I've back tracked through all the servicing work and even refitted the old pump but the problem still remains. Just fitted another set of new plugs and will give it a run this morning to see if it might be a duff plug after that I'm stumped.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
My suggestions.​

Choke assembly, possibly one choke plunger is stuck.
Air box tubes (to the carbs) have been overtightened and slipped off
Did you fit a new fuel filter? Drain the carbs to see if there's any crap in the float bowls.
Have you got a Scottoiler fitted? Is the vacuum tube connected properly, or has one of the 2 vacuum takeoffs got a bolt missing?
Have you fitted new tyres? Are they on the rims OK?
Have you got a tank of crap fuel?
Chain, is it overtight, or waaay to slack?​

Does the problem occur at a particular roadspeed (you state 50) or does it occur at a particular engine speed (rpm) and in any gear???

Good Luck​

Bob :thumbup:​

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice one on the air filter rubbers slipping off, fitted new plugs and checked the mounting's and sure enough they had slipped off never would have thought of that top shout.

Strange symptom!:confused: on any constant throttle position be it at 50-60-70 3000-4000 rev's there was an annoying hiccup in the engine.
120mile run and there seems to be no more sign of it thanks again for the advice.:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts