Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking a closer look at my side stand it was quite well worn firsly the paint was looking tired and worn out from the boots when using the stand .Secondly the foot which is in contact with the ground was showing some wear and tear from what i think is when the bike settles on its final position from when applied it scrapes iteself into place (hope that makes sense) ..Any hoots i removed cut welded sprayed so i now have a thicker guage metal foot free of corrosion,its painted black and looks like new ..My point in telling you this is that from the top the foot looked to be in good condition it was only on closer inspection did i notice how in fact thin and weak it was not sure if it would have held the bike for much longer so i acted befor i found out the hard way It's minus 15 here at the moment and i have'nt ridden the bike yet owned it for about 5 months just been addressing minor points .Lastly is there a paint part number for the frame ? i have some age related wear marks and would like to address them too many thanks

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have hockey pucks on my stands. I needed to increase the height due to raising the suspension. The hockey pucks (49p for the pair from eBay) rise the stand so the bike does not fall over and also give me a bigger footprint when on soft ground off road. Worked perfectly in the Bardenas desert too. Result !

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If your frame is silver ? Them Hammerite silver is one of the best matches you can find.I've used it for years as touch up, but you could probably do a whole frame nicely with it,that's if your not intending to powder coat.

If your frame is white ? Then I believe you need "Shasta White" :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sohoeasy is correct. I have battled 15 yards through 3 inches of snow to my garage: the tin of Hammerite within is: Direct to rust Metal Paint SMOOTH Silver. It's an excellent match for the XRV frame paint.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
paul-s how did you attatch the puck to the stand ?
I drilled two small holes 5mm and did the same to the puck. On the underside of the puck I widened the holes to take a cap head allen bolt with a washer. The bolts feed through upwards and on top of the foot on the stand I just bolted them with washers and two nuts on each bolt, one plain nut the other a locknut pinched together so they didn't vibrate loose. Then filled the underside with some silicone / gutter / window frame sealant so you can still get at the bolts if necessary but they are protected from the ground and dirt. Used extensively off road so well tested, hence the two nut set up

Before drilling test where you want the puck to sit so it does not rub against the swing arm when the stand is up. Also you want to have the puck offset in relation to the stand so the weight of the bike through the stand is transferred centrally on the puck

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I drilled two small holes 5mm and did the same to the puck. On the underside of the puck I widened the holes to take a cap head allen bolt with a washer. The bolts feed through upwards and on top of the foot on the stand I just bolted them with washers and two nuts on each bolt, one plain nut the other a locknut pinched together so they didn't vibrate loose. Then filled the underside with some silicone / gutter / window frame sealant so you can still get at the bolts if necessary but they are protected from the ground and dirt. Used extensively off road so well tested, hence the two nut set up

Before drilling test where you want the puck to sit so it does not rub against the swing arm when the stand is up. Also you want to have the puck offset in relation to the stand so the weight of the bike through the stand is transferred centrally on the puck
Well that's about as comprehensive an answer as you could ever wish to get about a side stand mod' ! :thumbup:........There's me having always thought you were a penny short ! :D:D Sorry we haven't spoken since the Cotswolds trip...."Life" and all that just gets in the way don't it ? Hope we catch up again not too far into the season Paul . :smile:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Well that's about as comprehensive an answer as you could ever wish to get about a side stand mod' ! :thumbup:........There's me having always thought you were a penny short ! :D:D Sorry we haven't spoken since the Cotswolds trip...."Life" and all that just gets in the way don't it ? Hope we catch up again not too far into the season Paul . :smile:
Thanks Nick, speak soon matey, take care

Reactions: Sohoeasy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts