Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

If anyones interested, l'm in the process of fitting a sidecar to my 600 Transalp. I know a lot of you must think l'm mad, but a sidecar is something l have always wanted to try. The Transalp is a bike l use to own a few years ago which l sold, but a couple of months ago came back up for sale. The side car is an old Ural chair.

Once its fitted l'll try to post a few pics.

Should have it on the road by TT all being well, so if your over here give me lots of room as l've never ridden an outfit before! Should be fun!

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures and write up, I fear tis the only way the wife could be coaxed onto 'Lola':thumbright:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sounds like fun!!

You might want to check if the wheel bearings need to be changed.

Standard types are said to wear faster as outfits don't corner the same way as bikes...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Being of a certain age, as a youth in the mid sixties I couldn't go out without seeing a motorcycle/sidecar combo, they were everywhere in my home town of Sunderland. I thought they were great and always promised myself one, one day. ( never happened :( ) My mate's father had a Norton Commando powered combination which I was lucky enough to ride in a couple of times.
No doubt the increase in the salaries of the working man and the advent of cheap(er) cars has done away with the sidecar, I think it's a shame whenever I see one on the road or parked up it always makes me smile and yearn for the days when the roads were not so crowded and you could fill your tank with a ten shilling note and still have enough for a bag of chips. Sigh! Try telling the youth of today? They don't want to know!

Old Git! I know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheel bearings are ok as they were replaced a couple of years ago. The bike has 28,000 miles on it. Its a little tatty but will do the job. I did'nt want to spend too much on it to start with just incase its a five min wonder. If its something we enjoy once its on the road l'll start to spend a bit more time and money on it.

For those of you who are interested, advrider.com have a section on sidecars (hacks) which is very good. Lots of articals and pics of hacks of all shapes and sizes!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Saw this 600 Transalp at the ITT in bavaria last year their was another one from Holand but I cant find the picture.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am a former sidecarist (if that's the description to use. My outfit was a Watsonian Palma child/adult chair attached to a 1965 Bonneville and yes it was quick. I started with great trepidation, in fact the wife would not get into the chair until she was satisfied we would not crash! 4 months pregnant you see. Anyway I had a bit of advice that in the beginning to use the right-hand bar as a sort of tiller and take it slowly. Then also remember that once you speed up that on left-handers you accelerate the bike round the chair by opening the throttle or slowing the chair with its brake and on right handers you slow the bike a little and let the chair go round the bike. All this only works if the chair is mounted correctly with the right toe in and lean out. Once I got the hang of it we had lots of fun and I'd say that the three years with the outfit were some of the best. It was physical but I could really hustle the outfit along. Then No.2 came along and it had to be a Reliant from then on. Now I won't hear a bad word about Reliants, I had three and they were all brilliant. Yes they had limitations but perhaps it was my experience with the outfit that helped. Good luck the only problem is that outfits accentuate the problems of biking and cars, being stuck in a jam with it raining is not really fun. Enjoy.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
If you need any ideas these are the guys.............

Treffen - www.transalp-gespann.de

This what your doing?, looks very great escape with a twist

This guy has some different techniques,including standard front end, a bit on the wide side I'd have thought?

R80 G/S Page

few links for ideas anyway.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
One thing that does seem to be missing from the modern way of life is the outfit rider.
I can remember when outfits were everywhere, it may have something to do with the economy of the modern small car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replys and pics. I had seen the pics from the german site before. I tried to email them but had no luck.

I have been told all about the way you should handle a outfit, put the power on when taking a left hand bend, and brake when taking a right hand corner. It makes it sound very simple but in practice l can see myself getting in a right mess!.

Anyway, l'm really looking forward to it and l'm sure after a few mishaps l'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just take your time and find out by just driving your outfit slowly and gently at first, best when there's not much traffic around, 25Kg of spuds or cement in the chair helps and wont complain when you do something scary! Driving an outfit is very different, yet very pleasing to do well.
I have an old BSA M21, 600cc Sidevalve/ Watsonian "Marlow" single seat sidecar outfit, which I enjoy, slowly, with only 16 bhp!! I keep thinking that a(nother) Alp with a Trials inspired chair would make for good fun on Long Distance Trials. I'm a little concerned about how the long travel front forks might handle the sideloads, ok if taken gently, but you can see why serious sidecar pilots fit sturdy leading-link front ends, which also allow for better sidecar steering geometry.
Do it! and good luck, have fun.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Ok. Work on the outfit starts today. Watch this space!

I am...:)

If I could get a REALLY cheap outfit of any kind I could take the chav dogs to Richmond park without valeting the inside of the Cab every time..:rolleyes:

Be fun too eh ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the bike and the chair are joined together now, just plastics and electrics to sort out now. Test ride this weekend all being well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Looks really good, will you be doing an Eric Oliver round the Clypse course? What are the origins of the chair? looks German/East German. Have fun but take it easy to begin with.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts