Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a pair second hand off of a bloke at work - he's warned me that they're not waterproof and that when he phoned sidi to complain, their response was 'breathable membrane does not mean waterproof'. Anyone got a pair of these boots? Do they let a lot of water in? Seems a bit strange that a (to him, not me :) ) pair of £174 boots can't be made waterproof!!

Will be used mostly for commuting (well, along with my bike and other gear, obviously) so I'm not too worried about it, but was just curious to hear other peoples opinions on them.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Fatjohn said:
Just bought a pair second hand off of a bloke at work - he's warned me that they're not waterproof and that when he phoned sidi to complain, their response was 'breathable membrane does not mean waterproof'. Anyone got a pair of these boots? Do they let a lot of water in? Seems a bit strange that a (to him, not me :) ) pair of £174 boots can't be made waterproof!!

Will be used mostly for commuting (well, along with my bike and other gear, obviously) so I'm not too worried about it, but was just curious to hear other peoples opinions on them.
Two words: GoreTex Socks!

Won't stop water coming in the top, as I discovered in that mudhole, but they will normall keep toes dry.

Got mine from an Army Surplus guy on fleBay for about £8, well worth it!

Cheers
-Simon

S

·
0 Posts
Here here to the mighty goretex socks :D Bloody marvelous things. Used them all winter, did the dragon rally in them as well as my end2end run, which did suffer from inclement weather, not a drop got past them :D Boots get sodden, but the tootsies are bone dry. Result.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crikey! So we really are talking about a pair of near £200 boots that are supposed to be for everyday use, but can't even keep the water out!! Seems insane to me.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
It depends on the intended useage. You'd expect normal road-boots nowadays to be waterproof. However, boots designed for off-road usage - for example - aren't designed to be waterproof, but the advantage is that after water gets inside they dry out fairly quickly. Waterproof boots take ages to dry if water gets inside.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dee Duble Yuh said:
It depends on the intended useage. You'd expect normal road-boots nowadays to be waterproof. However, boots designed for off-road usage - for example - aren't designed to be waterproof, but the advantage is that after water gets inside they dry out fairly quickly. Waterproof boots take ages to dry if water gets inside.
I just assumed with a name like 'courier' that they'd be designed for road use.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I have a pair of couriers and I love 'em but Yes they do leak, as was mentioned earlier Army surplus gortex socks are ace.

PS.........i've never come across a pair of MX boots that are waterproof yet.

Bob.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Fatjohn said:
Dee Duble Yuh said:
I just assumed with a name like 'courier' that they'd be designed for road use.
Couriers aren't like us mere mortals, they are naturally water repellent without recourse to fancy schmancy breathable fabrics and whatnots.

Also I think I'm right in saying that the soot from Cabbies exhausts (LB can confirm this) will waterproof whatever it touches and is ideally placed for lower leg coverage. Obviously this only applies in the West End and the City, where real men ride the streets.

Probably.

-Simon

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Yep moto-x boots are not waterproof at all. Had my Alpine Stars for nearly 5 years now and they leaked from day one. I am more worried about protection of a proper boot than wet feet at the end of the day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote="Slimie Obviously this only applies in the West End and the City, where real men ride the streets.

Probably.

-Simon[/quote]
Wouldn't argue with this - London roads scare the brown stuff out of me; the number of times I got cut up on my last trip down the big smoke defies belief.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Fatjohn said:
[quote="Slimie Obviously this only applies in the West End and the City, where real men ride the streets.

Probably.

-Simon
Wouldn't argue with this - London roads scare the brown stuff out of me; the number of times I got cut up on my last trip down the big smoke defies belief.[/quote]

FatJohn, we need to have a London Ride out ... searching for Green Lanes in the Big Smoke.
I ride the city most days ... it used to scare the hell out of me, but now I just adopt a KIll or be killed attitude.
Most car drivers value their cars so as long as they can see you, they will get out of your way.
A little bit of attitude goes a long way .. too much though and you can get complacent.

S

·
0 Posts
Only ridden in London a couple of times, and it wasn't the cars that scared me, it was the other bikes :shock: At least the cars were on the road, more than one bike took me on the inside via the pavement :evil:

It's another world for us country bumpkins :oops:

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
i've got some Sidi black rain boots - not very ruggedy styled but waterproof and warm!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts